Date:   Thu, 12 Oct 2017 09:46:44 +0100
From:   Anton Ivanov <anton.ivanov@...-begemot.co.uk>
To:     Anton Ivanov <anton.ivanov@...bridgegreys.com>,
        Willem de Bruijn <willemdebruijn.kernel@...il.com>
Cc:     Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Subject: Re: BUG:af_packet fails to TX TSO frames

Hi Willem,

Thanks for all your help so far.

I modified your test program to do sendmmsg as an option in addition to
send. I will send you a github pull req with the changes later today.
This allows to send let's say n frames (let's say 64) in one syscall -
probably the highest TX rate you can get out of Linux userspace.

The test case works via that route too which is now getting into the
realm of the surreal.

If I produce a real vnet frame out of a live kernel frame using
virtio_net_hdr_from_skb() and try to send it it fails on the check in
af_packet, while succeeding for tap. If I remove the af_packet check the
frame is accepted by the hardware too.

If I produce it a synthetic frame + vnet header using the test program -
it works. Go figure.

I am going to continue digging into it.

At the very least I now have a positive test case which uses the same
semantics as my code so I have something to compare to.

A.