Date:   Thu, 19 Oct 2017 08:53:24 -0700
From:   Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@...il.com>
To:     Pavlos Parissis <pavlos.parissis@...il.com>
Cc:     Paweł Staszewski <pstaszewski@...are.pl>,
        "Anders K. Pedersen | Cohaesio" <akp@...aesio.com>,
        "intel-wired-lan@...ts.osuosl.org" <intel-wired-lan@...ts.osuosl.org>,
        "alexander.h.duyck@...el.com" <alexander.h.duyck@...el.com>
Subject: Re: Linux 4.12+ memory leak on router with i40e NICs

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 4:41 AM, Pavlos Parissis
<pavlos.parissis@...il.com> wrote:
> On 19 October 2017 at 01:40, Paweł Staszewski <pstaszewski@...are.pl> wrote:
>>

>> W dniu 2017-10-19 o 01:29, Alexander Duyck pisze:

>>> Sorry but it can't be the same issue since we are discussing a
>>> different driver (i40e) running different hardware (X710 or XL170).
>>> You might want to start a new thread for your issue, and/or if
>>> possible file a bug on e1000.sf.net.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> - Alex
>>>
>> sorry but bugs reported on e1000.sf.net are delayed - some after about 6 or
>> more months - when i reported first bug there iv got reply after a year
>> about no activity :):) haha - and reported there bug is still actrive :)
>> better for me is now to change nics (for sure cheaper from  the perspective
>> of clients :) ) to mellanox or just to replace and use ixgbe - that have no
>> this bug (mellanox and ixgbe have no such bug - have many servers with them
>> with same conf - and only one with i40e where is same conf and memleak)
>>
>> If nobody from Intel wants to reproduce this - qool - this is not my problem
>> but intels :) - there is now many good nics to use - like mellanox or just
>> stick with many 10G based on ixgbe that is really good driver - but really ?
>> intel guys have no XL710 cards ? i dont want to buy another buggy cards to
>> do only kernel bisects .... sorry ....
>> To do good bisects with this bug You need to spend maybee 200/300 bisects -
>> and to confirm each - You need maybee 30minutes so count how much time You
>> need - more that 100 cards in price from mellanox maybee :)
>>

> I have similar issues with you in regards to the stability of i40e
> driver. I will need to open another thread about them, but I would
> like to mention that you are not the only one who suffers from
> problems related to i40e driver. In my case I can't simply change
> NICs..so it is even worse.
>
> Cheers,
> Pavlos

Hi Pavlos,

If you want feel free to Cc either my gmail or my intel.com email
address when you start the new thread, and I can work with you to try
to resolve the issues you are experiencing.

I'm just wanting to split up the unrelated issues into separate
threads as it is easier to track them as single threads. It makes it
much easier to figure out when an actual issue such as the original
memory leak was resolved versus trying to work multiple issues on the
same thread which makes things confusing as you end up losing track of
what the issue being resolved actually is, and it makes it confusing
for people who are reviewing the mailing list for issues similar to
what they are experiencing.

Thanks for your input, and I look forward to working with you to
resolve the issue you are experiencing.

- Alex