Date:   Mon, 23 Oct 2017 21:57:29 +0800
From:   Wei Xu <wexu@...hat.com>
To:     Matthew Rosato <mjrosato@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
Cc:     Jason Wang <jasowang@...hat.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        davem@...emloft.net, mst@...hat.com
Subject: Re: Regression in throughput between kvm guests over virtual bridge

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 04:17:51PM -0400, Matthew Rosato wrote:
> On 10/12/2017 02:31 PM, Wei Xu wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 04:07:45PM -0400, Matthew Rosato wrote:
> >>
> >> Ping...  Jason, any other ideas or suggestions?
> >
> > Hi Matthew,
> > Recently I am doing similar test on x86 for this patch, here are some,
> > differences between our testbeds.
> >
> > 1. It is nice you have got improvement with 50+ instances(or connections here?)
> > which would be quite helpful to address the issue, also you've figured out the
> > cost(wait/wakeup), kindly reminder did you pin uperf client/server along the whole
> > path besides vhost and vcpu threads?
>
> Was not previously doing any pinning whatsoever, just reproducing an
> environment that one of our testers here was running.  Reducing guest
> vcpu count from 4->1, still see the regression.  Then, pinned each vcpu
> thread and vhost thread to a separate host CPU -- still made no
> difference (regression still present).
>

> > 2. It might be useful to short the traffic path as a reference, What I am running
> > is briefly like:
> >     pktgen(host kernel) -> tap(x) -> guest(DPDK testpmd)
> >
> > The bridge driver(br_forward(), etc) might impact performance due to my personal
> > experience, so eventually I settled down with this simplified testbed which fully
> > isolates the traffic from both userspace and host kernel stack(1 and 50 instances,
> > bridge driver, etc), therefore reduces potential interferences.
> >
> > The down side of this is that it needs DPDK support in guest, has this ever be
> > run on s390x guest? An alternative approach is to directly run XDP drop on
> > virtio-net nic in guest, while this requires compiling XDP inside guest which needs
> > a newer distro(Fedora 25+ in my case or Ubuntu 16.10, not sure).
> >

> I made an attempt at DPDK, but it has not been run on s390x as far as
> I'm aware and didn't seem trivial to get working.
>
> So instead I took your alternate suggestion & did:
> pktgen(host) -> tap(x) -> guest(xdp_drop)

It is really nice of you for having tried this, I also tried this on x86 with
two ubuntu 16.04 guests, but unfortunately I couldn't reproduce it as well,
but I did get lower throughput with 50 instances than one instance(1-4 vcpus),
is this the same on s390x?

> When running this setup, I am not able to reproduce the regression.  As
> mentioned previously, I am also unable to reproduce when running one end
> of the uperf connection from the host - I have only ever been able to
> reproduce when both ends of the uperf connection are running within a guest.

Did you see improvement when running uperf from the host if no regression?

It would be pretty nice to run pktgen from the VM as Jason suggested in another
mail(pktgen(vm1) -> tap1 -> bridge -> tap2 -> vm2), this is super close to your
original test case and can help to determine if we can get some clue with tcp or
bridge driver.

Also I am interested in your hardware platform, how many NUMA nodes do you have?
what about your binding(vcpu/vhost/pktgen). For my case, I got a server with 4
NUMA nodes and 12 cpus for each sockets, and I am explicitly launching qemu from
cpu0, then bind vhost(Rx/Tx) to cpu 2&3, and vcpus start from cpu 4(3 vcpus for
each).

> > 3. BTW, did you enable hugepage for your guest? It would  performance more
> > or less depends on the memory demand when generating traffic, I didn't see
> > similar command lines in yours.
> >

> s390x does not currently support passing through hugetlb backing via
> QEMU mem-path.

Okay, thanks for sharing this.

Wei