Date:   Sat, 28 Oct 2017 00:23:55 +0200
From:   Sebastian Andrzej Siewior <bigeasy@...utronix.de>
To:     Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...com>
Cc:     tglx@...utronix.de, peterz@...radead.org,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: [RFC] please clarify local_irq_disable() in pcpu_freelist_populate()

Hi,

while looking at other things here I stumbled at this in
kernel/bpf/percpu_freelist.c:

…
…
|        }
|        local_irq_restore(flags);
|}

and then we have

| static inline void __pcpu_freelist_push(struct pcpu_freelist_head *head,
|                                         struct pcpu_freelist_node *node)
| {
|         raw_spin_lock(&head->lock);
|         node->next = head->first;
|         head->first = node;
|         raw_spin_unlock(&head->lock);
| }

I don't see how any of this can race with pcpu_freelist_push():

|void pcpu_freelist_push(struct pcpu_freelist *s,
|                        struct pcpu_freelist_node *node)
|{
|        struct pcpu_freelist_head *head = this_cpu_ptr(s->freelist);
|
|        __pcpu_freelist_push(head, node);
|}

I *think* the problem is using this_cpu_ptr() in non-atomic context
which splats a warning CONFIG_DEBUG_PREEMPT and has nothing todo with
lockdep. However pcpu_freelist_populate() is not using
pcpu_freelist_push() so I remain clueless.
__pcpu_freelist_push() adds an item (node) to the list head (head) and
this head is protected with a spin_lock.

I *think* pcpu_freelist_push() can use raw_cpu_ptr() instead and the
local_irq_save() can go away (with __pcpu_freelist_push() using a
raw_spin_lock_irqsafe() instead).

On the other hand, using llist instead would probably eliminate the need
for the lock in ->head since llist_add() and llist_del_first() is
lockless and serve the same purpose.

Sebastian