Date:   Thu, 9 Nov 2017 14:55:10 +0800
From:   Fengguang Wu <fengguang.wu@...el.com>
To:     Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>
Cc:     Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@...il.com>,
        Jeff Kirsher <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
        Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        intel-wired-lan <intel-wired-lan@...ts.osuosl.org>
Subject: Re: [vlan_device_event] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request
 at 6b6b6ccf

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 10:34:10PM -0800, Cong Wang wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 7:12 PM, Fengguang Wu <fengguang.wu@...el.com> wrote:
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>>> So looking over the trace the panic seems to be happening after a
>>> decnet interface is getting deleted. Is there any chance we could try
>>> compiling the kernel without decnet support to see if that is the
>>> source of these issues? I don't know if anyone on the Intel Wired Lan
>>> team is testing with that enabled so if we can eliminate that as a
>>> possible cause that would be useful.
>>

>> Sure and thank you for the suggestion!
>>
>> It looks disabling DECNET still triggers the vlan_device_event BUG.
>> However when looking at the dmesgs, I find another warning just before
>> the vlan_device_event BUG. Not sure if it's related one or independent
>> now-fixed issue.
>
>Those decnet symbols are probably noises.

Yes it's not related to CONFIG_DECNET.

>How do you reproduce it? And what is your setup? Vlan device on
>top of your eth0 (e1000)?

It can basically be reproduced in one of our test machines --
lkp-wsx03, which is a Westmere EX server.

The test boots an openwrt image in QEMU and run trinity for minutes.

Here is the openwrt image:

https://github.com/0day-ci/lkp-qemu/blob/master/osimage/openwrt/openwrt-i386-2016-03-16.cgz

I don't know how openwrt deals with VLAN. :)

Thanks,
Fengguang