Date:   Mon, 13 Nov 2017 18:18:03 -0800
From:   Michael Ma <make0818@...il.com>
To:     Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@...il.com>
Cc:     Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>,
        Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>,
        Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        jianjun.duan@...baba-inc.com, xiangning.yu@...baba-inc.com
Subject: Re: Per-CPU Queueing for QoS

> On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com> wrote:

>>> The question I would have is how would this differ from using XPS w/
>>> mqprio? Would this be a classful qdisc like HTB or a classless one
>>> like mqprio?
>>>
>>> From what I can tell XPS would be able to get you your per-cpu
>>> functionality, the benefit of it though would be that it would avoid
>>> out-of-order issues for sockets originating on the local system. The
>>> only thing I see as an issue right now is that the rate limiting with
>>> mqprio is assumed to be handled via hardware due to mechanisms such as
>>> DCB.
>>
>> I think one of the key point was in : " do busy polling from a per-class
>> thread to drain these queues."
>>
>> I mentioned this idea in TX path of :
>>
>> https://netdevconf.org/2.1/slides/apr6/dumazet-BUSY-POLLING-Netdev-2.1.pdf
>
> I think this is a bit different from that idea in that the busy
> polling is transferring packets from a per-cpu qdisc to a per traffic
> class queueing discipline. Basically it would be a busy_poll version
> of qdisc_run that would be transferring packets from one qdisc onto
> another instead of attempting to transmit them directly.

The idea is to have the whole part implemented as one classful qdisc
and remove the qdisc root lock since all the synchronization will be
handled internally (let's put aside that other filters/actions/qdiscs
might still require a root lock for now).

> What I think is tripping me up is that I don't think this is even
> meant to work with a multiqueue device. The description seems more
> like a mqprio implementation feeding into a prio qdisc which is then
> used for dequeue. To me it seems like this solution would be pulling
> complexity off of the enqueue side and just adding it to the dequeue
> side. The use of the "busy poll" is just to try to simplify things as
> the agent would then be consolidating traffic from multiple per-cpu
> queues onto one drain queue.

We're essentially trying to spread the complexity from enqueue to
different stages such as enqueue/aggregation and rate
limiting/dequeue. Each stage will have different parallelisms. It
should work with multi-queue device since txq selection can be the
same as today. However our concern is that between enqueue and
aggregation we have a small window which can allow packet oob, which
is a sacrifice to better concurrency.

> Structure wise this ends up looking not too different from mqprio, the
> main difference though would be that this would be a classful qdisc
> and that the virtual qdiscs we have for the traffic classes would need
> to be replaced with actual qdiscs for handling the "drain" aspect of
> this.

Structure wise it's similar to mqprio + rate limiting qdisc without
root lock, and replacing txq/flow level parallelism by cpu level
parallelism. I'm actually not sure about the similarity with busy
polling that Eric mentioned since I haven't read the slides yet.