Date:   Thu, 23 Nov 2017 15:40:17 +0200
From:   Arkadi Sharshevsky <arkadis@...lanox.com>
To:     David Ahern <dsa@...ulusnetworks.com>,
        Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Cc:     davem@...emloft.net, mlxsw@...lanox.com, andrew@...n.ch,
        vivien.didelot@...oirfairelinux.com, f.fainelli@...il.com,
        michael.chan@...adcom.com, ganeshgr@...lsio.com,
        saeedm@...lanox.com, matanb@...lanox.com, leonro@...lanox.com,
        idosch@...lanox.com, jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com, ast@...nel.org,
        daniel@...earbox.net, simon.horman@...ronome.com,
        pieter.jansenvanvuuren@...ronome.com, john.hurley@...ronome.com,
        alexander.h.duyck@...el.com, linville@...driver.com,
        gospo@...adcom.com, steven.lin1@...adcom.com, yuvalm@...lanox.com,
        ogerlitz@...lanox.com, roopa@...ulusnetworks.com
Subject: Re: [patch net-next RFC v2 08/11] mlxsw: spectrum_dpipe: Connect
 dpipe tables to resources

On 11/19/2017 05:58 PM, David Ahern wrote:
> On 11/19/17 2:16 AM, Arkadi Sharshevsky wrote:

>>> Those descriptions would be helpful to the user. A description attribute
>>> for the resources?
>>>

>> As described in the cover letter this resources are used by the
>> majority of the ASICs lookup processes. So currently there is one
>> to one mapping but is should increase as more tables are exposed,
>> so I don't think its a good idea to maintain such an attribute.
>>

> 'IPv4 host' yes, but I mean the term 'KVD hash single'? Is it the same
> across all h/w vendors? I have only seen that in the context of MLX. If
> it is a MLX term then a description to the user that KVD hash single ==
> IPv4 host is warranted.

But this relation is wrong, there is no equality here. The LPM, FDB and
VID to FID mapping are all can be modeled as lookup tables (via dpipe)
that use KVD hash single resource.

This description string will grow very long. I dont think this is the
right place to document such thing, eitherway, the user can dump the
dpipe tables and see which is mapped to what resource.