Date:   Thu, 23 Nov 2017 20:14:45 +0100
From:   Jochen Friedrich <jochen@...am.de>
To:     Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: b53 tags on bpi-r1 (bcm53125)

Hi Florian,

> With Broadcom tags (or any type of switch tagging protocol), eth0
> becomes a conduit interface and no longer a "normal" network device for
> applications/socket to use. This means that if you were obtaining an IP
> address through a DHCP client using e.g: dhclient eth0, this now needs
> to be replaced using dhclient lan1 for instance.

Yes, that's what I would expect.

> If you use the per-port network devices, do you actually see Broadcom
> tags coming out of these interfaces, or is it just when you use eth0
> like what you used before that you see that happening?

For outgoing Packet, I see the tags on eth0, that's expected, but also
an a laptop connected to any of the external ports (no matter which
one, wan or lan1-4).
Incoming packets are seen on eth0 untagged and don't get forwarded to
the corresponding child Interface.

So it seems the switch operates in dumb forwarding mode.

I also tried a pull down on LED Port 0 (mii_dumb_fwdg_en), but the
switch still remains in dumb mode. However, I would have to double
check I picked the correct pin, the Bpi-r1 schematics is not
completely error free :-(.

Thanks, Jochen