Date:   Mon, 1 Jan 2018 16:58:33 +0200
From:   Arkadi Sharshevsky <arkadis@...lanox.com>
To:     Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        dsa@...ulusnetworks.com, roopa@...ulusnetworks.com
Cc:     davem@...emloft.net, mlxsw@...lanox.com, andrew@...n.ch,
        vivien.didelot@...oirfairelinux.com, f.fainelli@...il.com,
        michael.chan@...adcom.com, ganeshgr@...lsio.com,
        saeedm@...lanox.com, matanb@...lanox.com, leonro@...lanox.com,
        idosch@...lanox.com, jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com, ast@...nel.org,
        daniel@...earbox.net, simon.horman@...ronome.com,
        pieter.jansenvanvuuren@...ronome.com, john.hurley@...ronome.com,
        alexander.h.duyck@...el.com, linville@...driver.com,
        gospo@...adcom.com, steven.lin1@...adcom.com, yuvalm@...lanox.com,
        ogerlitz@...lanox.com
Subject: Re: [patch net-next v2 00/10] Add support for resource abstraction

On 12/26/2017 01:23 PM, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> From: Jiri Pirko <jiri@...lanox.com>
>
> Many of the ASIC's internal resources are limited and are shared between
> several hardware procedures. For example, unified hash-based memory can
> be used for many lookup purposes, like FDB and LPM. In many cases the user
> can provide a partitioning scheme for such a resource in order to perform
> fine tuning for his application. In such cases performing driver reload is
> needed for the changes to take place, thus this patchset also adds support
> for hot reload.
>
> Such an abstraction can be coupled with devlink's dpipe interface, which
> models the ASIC's pipeline as a graph of match/action tables. By modeling
> the hardware resource object, and by coupling it to several dpipe tables,
> further visibility can be achieved in order to debug ASIC-wide issues.
>
> The proposed interface will provide the user the ability to understand the
> limitations of the hardware, and receive notification regarding its occupancy.
> Furthermore, monitoring the resource occupancy can be done in real-time and
> can be useful in many cases.
> ---
> Userspace part prototype can be found at https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Farkadis%2Fiproute2%2F&data=02%7C01%7Carkadis%40mellanox.com%7C1ae3d8b4854a454e21e008d54c5329e3%7Ca652971c7d2e4d9ba6a4d149256f461b%7C0%7C0%7C636498842440762657&sdata=7MC2BFQFxjnmHqy2sOOL9VEa4ZGq6e5Z2n2WvuNgyFk%3D&reserved=0
> at resource_dev branch.
>
> v1->v2
> - Add resource size attribute.
> - Fix split bug.

Just to summarize the current fixes required:

1. ERIF dpipe table size is reporting wrong size. More precisely the
   ERIF table does not take rifs, so it should not be linked to the rif
   bank resource (is not part of this patchset, future extension).
2. Extended ACK user-space bug.
3. ABI documentation- Not sure we agreed upon it, Jiri?

If I missed something please respond. Nothing of the fixes mentioned
above is relevant for this patchset actually.

Couple of key-points:

1. Constrains\trade off about setting the sizes - this can be obtained
   trivially from the resource tree nested structure.
2. Dpipe provides the mapping of hardware processes to resources.
3. Units - each resource specifies his units, if dpipe table's size is
   X and its related to some resource its size is normalized to that
   resources basic unit.

IMO this is the most hardware exact interaction, and this is the way it
should be exported from the kernel, if something is not presented in
'user' convenient way some utilities can be implemented in userspace
to easily do it. Furthermore, some examples will be provided for the
whole kvd tree partition for different cases (IPv6 heavy etc..).
Advanced user will be able to tweak it as they like.

Regarding the 'switchdev' layer I think that kernel's software tables
like nexthops/neigh/routes should be mapped to dpipe tables and not
to resources directly:

kernel_fdb--> dpipe_fdb -->/kvd/hash_single.