Date:   Thu, 4 Jan 2018 09:58:51 -0700
From:   David Ahern <dsa@...ulusnetworks.com>
To:     Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
Cc:     Arkadi Sharshevsky <arkadis@...lanox.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        roopa@...ulusnetworks.com, davem@...emloft.net, mlxsw@...lanox.com,
        andrew@...n.ch, vivien.didelot@...oirfairelinux.com,
        f.fainelli@...il.com, michael.chan@...adcom.com,
        ganeshgr@...lsio.com, saeedm@...lanox.com, matanb@...lanox.com,
        leonro@...lanox.com, idosch@...lanox.com,
        jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com, ast@...nel.org, daniel@...earbox.net,
        simon.horman@...ronome.com, pieter.jansenvanvuuren@...ronome.com,
        john.hurley@...ronome.com, alexander.h.duyck@...el.com,
        linville@...driver.com, gospo@...adcom.com,
        steven.lin1@...adcom.com, yuvalm@...lanox.com,
        ogerlitz@...lanox.com
Subject: Re: [patch net-next v2 00/10] Add support for resource abstraction

On 1/3/18 11:36 AM, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> Wed, Jan 03, 2018 at 07:29:46PM CET, dsa@...ulusnetworks.com wrote:

>>> Dave, devlink uses libmnl.
>>>

>> Now I remember. You wrote it independently and but needed iproute2 be a
>> delivery vehicle. It uses none of the common infrastructure from
>> iproute2. Could we make this more difficult ....
>
> Feel free to rewrite it to use lib/libnetlink.c. Should not be that
> hard. Note that at the time I was pushing devlink userspace, tipc also
> used libmnl as a part of iproute2, so devlink was not the first one.
> That is why I decided not to rewrite.
>
> As of the rest of the "common infrastructure", what exactly do you
> have in mind?

This is what I am getting at. Apparently, these resource patches for
devlink require a patched libmnl to work properly. It is wrong for
iproute2 to accept this patch and to build a devlink command that we
know does not work. That means iproute2 needs a dependency on a specific
version of libmnl - a version which does not yet exist because those
changes have not been accepted and libmnl version released. Adding that
dependency is going to inconvenience to all current users of the
iproute2 repo.