Date:   Sat, 6 Jan 2018 09:07:28 +0100
From:   Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
To:     David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, davem@...emloft.net, jhs@...atatu.com,
        xiyou.wangcong@...il.com, mlxsw@...lanox.com, andrew@...n.ch,
        vivien.didelot@...oirfairelinux.com, f.fainelli@...il.com,
        michael.chan@...adcom.com, ganeshgr@...lsio.com,
        saeedm@...lanox.com, matanb@...lanox.com, leonro@...lanox.com,
        idosch@...lanox.com, jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com,
        simon.horman@...ronome.com, pieter.jansenvanvuuren@...ronome.com,
        john.hurley@...ronome.com, alexander.h.duyck@...el.com,
        ogerlitz@...lanox.com, john.fastabend@...il.com,
        daniel@...earbox.net
Subject: Re: [patch net-next v6 00/11] net: sched: allow qdiscs to share
 filter block instances

Sat, Jan 06, 2018 at 04:57:21AM CET, dsahern@...il.com wrote:
>On 1/5/18 4:09 PM, Jiri Pirko wrote:
>> From: Jiri Pirko <jiri@...lanox.com>
>>
>> Currently the filters added to qdiscs are independent. So for example if you
>> have 2 netdevices and you create ingress qdisc on both and you want to add
>> identical filter rules both, you need to add them twice. This patchset
>> makes this easier and mainly saves resources allowing to share all filters
>> within a qdisc - I call it a "filter block". Also this helps to save
>> resources when we do offload to hw for example to expensive TCAM.
>>
>> So back to the example. First, we create 2 qdiscs. Both will share
>> block number 22. "22" is just an identification. If we don't pass any
>> block number, a new one will be generated by kernel:
>>
>> $ tc qdisc add dev ens7 ingress block 22
>>                                 ^^^^^^^^
>> $ tc qdisc add dev ens8 ingress block 22
>>                                 ^^^^^^^^
>>
>> Now if we list the qdiscs, we will see the block index in the output:
>>
>> $ tc qdisc
>> qdisc ingress ffff: dev ens7 parent ffff:fff1 block 22
>> qdisc ingress ffff: dev ens8 parent ffff:fff1 block 22
>>

>> To make is more visual, the situation looks like this:
>>
>>    ens7 ingress qdisc                 ens7 ingress qdisc
>>           |                                  |
>>           |                                  |
>>           +---------->  block 22  <----------+
>>
>> Unlimited number of qdiscs may share the same block.
>>
>> Now we can add filter using the block index:
>>
>> $ tc filter add block 22 protocol ip pref 25 flower dst_ip 192.168.0.0/16 action drop
>>

>> Note we cannot use the qdisc for filter manipulations for shared blocks:
>>
>> $ tc filter add dev ens8 ingress protocol ip pref 1 flower dst_ip 192.168.100.2 action drop
>> Error: Cannot work with shared block, please use block index.
>>

>> We will see the same output if we list filters for ingress qdisc of
>> ens7 and ens8, also for the block 22:
>>
>> $ tc filter show block 22
>> filter block 22 protocol ip pref 25 flower chain 0
>> filter block 22 protocol ip pref 25 flower chain 0 handle 0x1
>>
>> $ tc filter show dev ens7 ingress
>> filter block 22 protocol ip pref 25 flower chain 0
>> filter block 22 protocol ip pref 25 flower chain 0 handle 0x1
>>
>> $ tc filter show dev ens8 ingress
>> filter block 22 protocol ip pref 25 flower chain 0
>> filter block 22 protocol ip pref 25 flower chain 0 handle 0x1
>
>I like the API and output shown here, but I am not getting that with the
>patches.
>
>In this example, I am using 42 for the block id:
>
>$ tc qdisc show dev eth2
>qdisc mq 0: root
>qdisc pfifo_fast 0: parent :2 bands 3 priomap  1 2 2 2 1 2 0 0 1 1 1 1 1
>1 1 1
>qdisc pfifo_fast 0: parent :1 bands 3 priomap  1 2 2 2 1 2 0 0 1 1 1 1 1
>1 1 1
>qdisc ingress ffff: parent ffff:fff1 block 42
>
>It allows me to add a filter using the device:
>$ tc filter add dev eth2 ingress protocol ip pref 1 flower dst_ip
> [...]

Yes, because the block is not shared yet. You have it only for one
qdisc. As long as you have that, the "filter add dev" api still works.
It stops working when you add another qdisc to that block.

>And it modifies the shared block:
>$  tc filter show block 42
>filter pref 1 flower chain 0
>filter pref 1 flower chain 0 handle 0x1
>  eth_type ipv4
>  dst_ip 192.168.100.2
>  not_in_hw
>	action order 1: gact action drop
>	 random type none pass val 0
>	 index 2 ref 1 bind 1
>
>filter pref 1 flower chain 0 handle 0x2
>  eth_type ipv4
>  dst_ip 192.168.101.2
>  not_in_hw
>	action order 1: gact action drop
>	 random type none pass val 0
>	 index 3 ref 1 bind 1
>
>filter pref 25 flower chain 0
>filter pref 25 flower chain 0 handle 0x1
>  eth_type ipv4
>  dst_ip 192.168.0.0/16
>  not_in_hw
>	action order 1: gact action drop
>	 random type none pass val 0
>	 index 1 ref 1 bind 1
>
>Notice the header does not give the 'filter block N protocol' part. I
>don't get that using the device either (tc filter show dev eth2 ingress).

That is correct. Check the print_filter function in tc/tc_filter.c. It
works with "filter_ifindex" and with my patch with "filter_block_index".
That means that if the value for the filter dumped actually differs from
what you passed on the command line, it prints it.

Once you actually share the block with another qdisc, you will see
"block N"

>Something else I noticed is that I do not get an error message if I pass
>an invalid block id:
>
>$ tc filter show block 22
>$ echo $?
>0
>$  tc qdisc show | grep block
>qdisc ingress ffff: dev eth2 parent ffff:fff1 block 42

Yeah, I will try to fix this. The thing is, this is not error by kernel
but by the userspace. Kernel is perfectly ok with invalid device or
block index, it just does not dump anything and I would leave it like
that. I have to somehow check the validity of block_index in userspace.
Not sure how now.

Thanks!