Date:   Wed, 14 Mar 2018 00:18:39 +0100
From:   Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>
To:     Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...com>,
        Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>,
        Yonghong Song <yhs@...com>,
        Steffen Klassert <steffen.klassert@...unet.com>
Cc:     netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, Martin Lau <kafai@...com>,
        saeedm@...lanox.com, diptanu@...com
Subject: Re: BUG_ON triggered in skb_segment

On 03/14/2018 12:09 AM, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
> On 3/13/18 3:47 PM, Eric Dumazet wrote:
>>

>> On 03/13/2018 03:37 PM, Yonghong Song wrote:
>>> Adding additional cc's:
>>>    Saeed Mahameed as this is most likely mlx5 driver related.
>>>    Diptanu Gon Choudhury who initially reported the issue.

>>> In our experiments, LRO is disabled.
>>> On mlx5, when GRO is on, the BUG_ON will happen, and
>>> when GRO is off, the BUG_ON will not happen.

>>> This is a very good observation.
>>> We did the same experiment on mlx4, the same kernel, the same
>>> userspace apps, the same bpf program. The only difference is mlx4 vs.
>>> mlx5.
>>> The mlx4 works fine with LRO=off and GRO=on, while
>>> mlx5 failed with the same LRO/GRO configuration.
>>>
>>> On mlx4 box, we are able to see TSO packets are increasing as the
>>> large file scp is in progress.
>>> # ethtool -S eth0 | grep tso
>>>       tso_packets: 45495
>>> # ethtool -S eth0 | grep tso
>>>       tso_packets: 45865
>>> # ethtool -S eth0 | grep tso
>>>       tso_packets: 46337
>>> # ethtool -S eth0 | grep tso
>>>       tso_packets: 46724
>>>
>>> And use bcc tool to track to func call count for skb_segment
>>> and find it is called 0 times. Clearly, mlx4 is able to take
>>> the packet as TSO and hence the packet will not go to
>>> the stack.
>>>
>>> # funccount.py -i 3 'skb_segment'
>>> Tracing 1 functions for "skb_segment"... Hit Ctrl-C to end.
>>>
>>> FUNC                                    COUNT
>>>
>>> FUNC                                    COUNT
>>>
>>> CC Saeed Mahameed who may help debug and provide some insights
>>> what is the problem.
>>
>> There are many reasons why a GRO packet might need to be segmented by
>> software (skb_segment())
>>
>> This is the step where you have crashes, so really mlx4/mlx5 difference
>> do not matter.
>>
>> gso_size should not be dynamically changed. This needs to be fixed in
>> eBPF helpers eventually.
>
> we have bpf_skb_proto_6_to_4() that was used by cilium for long time.
> It's not clear why it's not crashing there, but we cannot just
> reject changing proto in bpf programs now.

Right, used in Cilium since the helper was added. Back then I recall I tested
this back to back over ixgbe w/ the various options mixed on/off with BPF prog
implementing nat64 on each side, running over various netperf streams; and later
integrated the logic into Cilium itself. Perhaps something changed with more
recent kernels as well. I'll look closer into this issue tomorrow.