Date:   Sat, 24 Mar 2018 10:07:27 -0700
From:   Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
To:     Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
CC:     Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        davem@...emloft.net, idosch@...lanox.com,
        jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com, mlxsw@...lanox.com,
        vivien.didelot@...oirfairelinux.com, michael.chan@...adcom.com,
        ganeshgr@...lsio.com, saeedm@...lanox.com,
        simon.horman@...ronome.com, pieter.jansenvanvuuren@...ronome.com,
        john.hurley@...ronome.com, dirk.vandermerwe@...ronome.com,
        alexander.h.duyck@...el.com, ogerlitz@...lanox.com,
        dsahern@...il.com, vijaya.guvva@...ium.com,
        satananda.burla@...ium.com, raghu.vatsavayi@...ium.com,
        felix.manlunas@...ium.com, gospo@...adcom.com,
        sathya.perla@...adcom.com, vasundhara-v.volam@...adcom.com,
        tariqt@...lanox.com, eranbe@...lanox.com,
        jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com
Subject: Re: [patch net-next RFC 00/12] devlink: introduce port flavours and common phys_port_name generation

On March 24, 2018 9:07:49 AM PDT, Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us> wrote:
>Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 03:35:09PM CET, f.fainelli@...il.com wrote:
>>On March 24, 2018 12:45:51 AM PDT, Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
>wrote:
>>>DSA hw,

>number
>>>3
>number
>>>4

>ports

>name
>>>
>>>Got it. Hmm, so I think that the port number can be made optional and
>>>when it is present, it would be used to generate phys_port_name. If
>>>not, perhaps devlink port index could be used instead.
>>>
>>>So iiuc, you don't really need phys_port_name in dsa, as it provides
>>>misleading names, right? Why is it implemented then?
>>
>>We do need phys_port_name because there are switch configuration
>operations, e.g: ethtool::rxnfc which take a port number and queue
>number as part of the action to redirect a packet for instance. There
>is no way to obtain this physical port number other than either knowing
>it and hard coding it (not great) or scanning the device tree and look
>for the "reg" property value. phys_port_name gets you that and it is
>easy for an application to scan /sys/class/net/ on startup to get to
>know that (and other stuff as well).
>
>Hmm. That sounds like misuse of phys_port_name. The original purpose
>was
>to provide names as they are actually written on the front panel.

Ok, if we look back at the history of the changes I had implemented ndo_phys_port_id() to return the port number initially, but this was wrong and reverted based on your feedback, and then ndo_phys_port_name() was implemented with your reviewed-by tag:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/net/dsa/slave.c?id=3a543ef479868e36c95935de320608a7e41466ca
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/net/dsa/slave.c?id=592050b2541407d033da18226d3644644832d082
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/net/dsa/slave.c?id=592050b2541407d033da18226d3644644832d082

Now that this is reported through sysfs it unfortunately becomes ABI and we should not be breaking user applications relying on that and there is at least one I know of...

What is an appropriate attribute to use to return the physical port number within a given switch?

--
Florian