Date:   Sat, 21 Apr 2018 16:15:05 +0800
From:   Aaron Lu <aaron.lu@...el.com>
To:     Tariq Toukan <tariqt@...lanox.com>
Cc:     Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-mm <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        Mel Gorman <mgorman@...hsingularity.net>,
        David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>,
        Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...com>,
        Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...lanox.com>,
        Eran Ben Elisha <eranbe@...lanox.com>,
        Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.com>
Subject: Re: Page allocator bottleneck

Sorry to bring up an old thread...

On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 07:21:09PM +0200, Tariq Toukan wrote:

> On 18/09/2017 12:16 PM, Tariq Toukan wrote:

> > > Unfortunately, no surprises there.

> > > While it's not proven, the most likely candidate is the zone lock
> > > and that should be confirmed using a call-graph profile. If so, then
> > > the suggestion to tune to the size of the per-cpu allocator would
> > > mitigate the problem.
> > >
> > Indeed, I tuned the per-cpu allocator and bottleneck is released.
> >

> Hi all,
>
> After leaving this task for a while doing other tasks, I got back to it now
> and see that the good behavior I observed earlier was not stable.

I posted a patchset to improve zone->lock contention for order-0 pages
recently, it can almost eliminate 80% zone->lock contention for
will-it-scale/page_fault1 testcase when tested on a 2 sockets Intel
Skylake server and it doesn't require PCP size tune, so should have
some effects on your workload where one CPU does allocation while
another does free.

It did this by some disruptive changes:
1 on free path, it skipped doing merge(so could be bad for mixed
  workloads where both 4K and high order pages are needed);
2 on allocation path, it avoided touching multiple cachelines.

RFC v2 patchset:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/3/20/171

repo:
https://github.com/aaronlu/linux zone_lock_rfc_v2