Date:   Wed, 16 May 2018 12:05:06 -0700
From:   Joe Stringer <joe@...d.net.nz>
To:     Joe Stringer <joe@...d.net.nz>
Cc:     daniel@...earbox.net, netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        ast@...nel.org, john fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>,
        tgraf@...g.ch, Martin KaFai Lau <kafai@...com>
Subject: Re: [RFC bpf-next 00/11] Add socket lookup support

On 9 May 2018 at 14:06, Joe Stringer <joe@...d.net.nz> wrote:
> This series proposes a new helper for the BPF API which allows BPF programs to
> perform lookups for sockets in a network namespace. This would allow programs
> to determine early on in processing whether the stack is expecting to receive
> the packet, and perform some action (eg drop, forward somewhere) based on this
> information.
>
> The series is structured roughly into:
> * Misc refactor
> * Add the socket pointer type
> * Add reference tracking to ensure that socket references are freed
> * Extend the BPF API to add sk_lookup() / sk_release() functions
> * Add tests/documentation
>
> The helper proposed in this series includes a parameter for a tuple which must
> be filled in by the caller to determine the socket to look up. The simplest
> case would be filling with the contents of the packet, ie mapping the packet's
> 5-tuple into the parameter. In common cases, it may alternatively be useful to
> reverse the direction of the tuple and perform a lookup, to find the socket
> that initiates this connection; and if the BPF program ever performs a form of
> IP address translation, it may further be useful to be able to look up
> arbitrary tuples that are not based upon the packet, but instead based on state
> held in BPF maps or hardcoded in the BPF program.
>
> Currently, access into the socket's fields are limited to those which are
> otherwise already accessible, and are restricted to read-only access.
>
> A few open points:
> * Currently, the lookup interface only returns either a valid socket or a NULL
>   pointer. This means that if there is any kind of issue with the tuple, such
>   as it provides an unsupported protocol number, or the socket can't be found,
>   then we are unable to differentiate these cases from one another. One natural
>   approach to improve this could be to return an ERR_PTR from the
>   bpf_sk_lookup() helper. This would be more complicated but maybe it's
>   worthwhile.

This suggestion would add a lot of complexity, and there's not many
legitimately different error cases. There's:
* Unsupported socket type
* Cannot find netns
* Tuple argument is the wrong size
* Can't find socket

If we split the helpers into protocol-specific types, the first one
would be addressed. The last one is addressed by returning NULL. It
seems like a reasonable compromise to me to return NULL also in the
middle two cases as well, and rely on the BPF writer to provide valid
arguments.

> * No ordering is defined between sockets. If the tuple could find multiple
>   sockets, then it will arbitrarily return one. It is up to the caller to
>   handle this. If we wish to handle this more reliably in future, we could
>   encode an ordering preference in the flags field.

Doesn't need to be addressed with this series, there is scope for
addressing these cases when the use case arises.

> * Currently this helper is only defined for TC hook point, but it should also
>   be valid at XDP and perhaps some other hooks.

Easy to add support for XDP on demand, initial implementation doesn't need it.