Date:   Sun, 3 Jun 2018 13:37:37 -0700
From:   Tom Herbert <tom@...bertland.com>
To:     Sam Patton <sam@...ancedip.org>
Cc:     Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>,
        Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: Enhanced IP v1.4

On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 9:17 AM, Sam Patton <sam@...ancedip.org> wrote:
> Hello Willy, netdev,
>
> Thank you for your reply and advice.  I couldn't agree more with you
> about containers and the exciting prospects there,
>
> as well as the ADSL scenario you mention.
>
> As far as application examples, check out this simple netcat-like
> program I use for testing:
>
> https://github.com/EnIP/enhancedip/blob/master/userspace/netcat/netcat.c
>
> Lines 61-67 show how to connect directly via an EnIP address.  The
> netcat-like application uses
>
> a header file called eip.h.  You can look at it here:
>
> https://github.com/EnIP/enhancedip/blob/master/userspace/include/eip.h
>
> EnIP makes use of IPv6 AAAA records for DNS lookup.  We simply put
> 2001:0101 (which is an IPv6 experimental prefix) and
>
> then we put the 64-bit EnIP address into the next 8 bytes of the
> address.  The remaining bytes are set to zero.
>
> In the kernel, if you want to see how we convert the IPv6 DNS lookup
> into something connect() can manage,
>
> check out the add_enhanced_ip() routine found here:
>
> https://github.com/EnIP/enhancedip/blob/master/kernel/4.9.28/socket.c
>
> The reason we had to do changes for openssh and not other applications
> (that use DNS) is openssh has a check to
>
> see if the socket is using IP options.  If the socket does, sshd drops
> the connection.  I had to work around that to get openssh working
>
> with EnIP.  The result: if you want to connect the netcat-like program
> with IP addresses you'll end up doing something like the
>
> example above.  If you're using DNS (getaddrinfo) to connect(), it
> should just work (except for sshd as noted).
>
> Here's the draft experimental RFC:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chimiak-enhanced-ipv4-03
> I'll also note that I am doing this code part time as a hobby for a long
> time so I appreciate your help and support.  It would be really
>
> great if the kernel community decided to pick this up, but if it's not a
> reality please let me know soonest so I can move on to a

Hi Sam,

This is not an inconsequential mechanism that is being proposed. It's
a modification to IP protocol that is intended to work on the
Internet, but it looks like the draft hasn't been updated for two
years and it is not adopted by any IETF working group. I don't see how
this can go anywhere without IETF support. Also, I suggest that you
look at the IPv10 proposal since that was very similar in intent. One
of the reasons that IPv10 shot down was because protocol transition
mechanisms were more interesting ten years ago than today. IPv6 has
good traction now. In fact, it's probably the case that it's now
easier to bring up IPv6 than to try to make IPv4 options work over the
Internet.

Tom