Date:   Mon, 18 Jun 2018 18:28:36 +0200
From:   Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
To:     Ilias Apalodimas <ilias.apalodimas@...aro.org>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, grygorii.strashko@...com,
        ivan.khoronzhuk@...aro.org, nsekhar@...com, jiri@...nulli.us,
        ivecera@...hat.com, f.fainelli@...il.com, francois.ozog@...aro.org,
        yogeshs@...com, spatton@...com, Jose.Abreu@...opsys.com
Subject: Re: [RFC v2, net-next, PATCH 0/4] Add switchdev on TI-CPSW

> Yes, if the CPU port is added on the VLAN then unregistered multicast traffic
> (and thus IGMP joins) will reach the CPU port and everything will work as
> expected. I think we should not consider this as a "problem" as long as it's
> descibed properly in Documentation. This switch is excected to support this.

Back to the two e1000e. What would you expect to happen with them?
Either IGMP snooping needs to work, or your don't do snooping at
all.

> What you describe is essentially what happens on "example 2."
> Enabling the unregistered multicat traffic to be directed to the CPU will cover
> all use cases that require no user intervention for everything to work. MDBs
> will automcatically be added/removed to the hardware and traffic will be
> offloaded.
> With the current code the user has that possibility, so it's up to him to
> decide what mode of configuration he prefers.

So by default, it just needs to work. You can give the user the option
to shoot themselves in the foot, but they need to actively pull the
trigger to blow their own foot off.

> > > Setting on/off and IFF_MULTICAST (on eth0/eth1/br0) will affect registered
> > > multicast masks programmed in the switch(for port1, port2, cpu port
> > > respectively).
> >
> > > This muct occur before adding VLANs on the interfaces. If you change the
> > > flag after the VLAN configuration you need to re-issue the VLAN config
> > > commands.
> >
> > This you should fix. You should be able to get the stack to tell you
> > about all the configured VLANs, so you can re-program the switch.
> I was planning fixing these via bridge link commands which would get propagated
> to the driver for port1/port2 and CPU port. I just didn't find anything
> relevant to multicast on bridge commands apart from flooding (which is used
> properly). I think that the proper way to do this is follow the logic that was
> introduced by VLANs i.e:
> bridge vlan add dev br0 vid 100 pvid untagged self <---- destined for CPU port
> and apply it for multicast/flooding etc.
> This requires iproute2 changes first though.

No, i think you can do this in the driver. The driver just needs to
ask the stack to tell it about all the VLANs again. Or you walk the
VLAN tables in the hardware and do the programming based on that. I
don't see why user space should be involved at all. What would you
expect with two e1000e's?

       Andrew