Date:   Wed, 27 Jun 2018 09:50:17 +0200
From:   Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
To:     Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>
Cc:     Linux Netdev List <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@...atatu.com>,
        Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>,
        Simon Horman <simon.horman@...ronome.com>,
        John Hurley <john.hurley@...ronome.com>,
        David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>, mlxsw@...lanox.com
Subject: Re: [patch net-next 0/9] net: sched: introduce chain templates
 support with offloading to mlxsw

Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 11:18:58PM CEST, jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com wrote:
>On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 09:12:17 +0200, Jiri Pirko wrote:

>> >Makes sense.
>> >
>> >I can't help but wonder if it'd be better to associate the
>> >constraints/rules with chains instead of creating a new "template"
>> >object.  It seems more natural to create a chain with specific
>> >constraints in place than add and delete template of which there can
>> >be at most one to a chain...  Perhaps that's more about the user space
>> >tc command line.  Anyway, not a strong objection, just a thought.
>>
>> Hmm. I don't think it is good idea. User should see the template in a
>> "show" command per chain. We would have to have 2 show commands, one to
>> list the template objects and one to list templates per chains. It makes
>> things more complicated for no good reason. I think that this simple
>> chain-lock is easier and serves the purpose.
>
>Hm, I think the dump is fine, what I was thinking about was:
>
># tc chain add dev dummy0 ingress chain_index 22 \
>     ^^^^^
>	template proto ip \
>	^^^^^^^^
>	flower dst_mac 00:00:00:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:FF:FF

Okay, I got it. I see 2 issues.
1) user might expect to add a chain without the template. But that does
   not make sense really. Chains are created/deleted implicitly
   according to refcount.
2) there is not chain object like this available to user. Adding it just
   for template looks odd. Also, the "filter" and "template" are very
   much alike. They both are added to a chain, they both implicitly
   create chain if it does not exist, etc.

if you don't like "tc filter template add dev dummy0 ingress", how
about:
"tc template add dev dummy0 ingress ..."
"tc template add dev dummy0 ingress chain 22 ..."
that makes more sense I think.