Date:   Wed, 11 Jul 2018 23:33:10 -0400
From:   Jason Baron <jbaron@...mai.com>
To:     nert@...mai.com
Cc:     Roman Mohr <rmohr@...hat.com>, fabiand@....github.map.fastly.net,
        libvir-list@...hat.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        ebiederm@...ssion.com, davem@...emloft.net,
        Laine Stump <laine@...ne.org>, berrange@...hat.com
Subject: Re: [libvirt] opening tap devices that are created in a container

On 07/11/2018 06:10 AM, nert@...atley wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 09, 2018 at 05:00:49PM -0400, Jason Baron wrote:

>>> That would be nice, but as far as I understand there will always be a
>>> need for
>>> some privileges if you want to use a tap device.  It's nice that CNI
>>> does that
>>> and all the containers can run unprivileged, but that's because they do
>>> not open
>>> the tap device and they do not do any privileged operations on it.  But
>>> QEMU
>>> needs to.  So the only way would be passing an opened fd to the
>>> container or
>>> opening the tap device there and making the fd usable for one process in
>>> the
>>> container.  Is this already supported for some type of containers in
>>> some way?
>>>
>>> Martin
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> So another option here call it #3 is to pass open fds via unix sockets.
>> If there are privileged operations that QEMU is trying to do with the fd
>> though, how will opening it first and then passing it to an unprivileged
>> QEMU address that? Is the opener doing those operations first?
>>

> Sorry for the confusion, but QEMU is not doing any privileged
> operations.  I got
> confused by the fact that anyone can open and do a R/W on a tap device.
> But it
> looks like that's on purpose.  No capabilities are needed for opening
> /dev/net/tun and calling ioctl(TUNSETIFF) with existing name and then
> doing R/W
> operations on it.  It just works.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but to sum it all up, the only things that we
> need to
> figure out (which might possibly be solved by ideas in the other thread)
> are:
>
> tap:
> - Existence of /dev/net/tun
> - Having permissions to open it (0666 by default, shouldn't be a nig deal)
> - Knowing the device name
>
> macvtap:
> - Existence of /dev/tapXX
> - Having permissions to open /dev/tapXX
> - One of the following:
>  - Knowing the device name (and being able to translate it using a
> netlink socket)
>  - Knowing the the device index

Right - from the device name one can grab the device index using
SIOCGIFINDEX and then use that to access /dev/tap{device index}. Since
devtmpfs is not mounted in containers (since its not namespaced) and
mknod() is I think often not allowed, the mknod() has to happen by a
privileged process when the the container is being created. In addition,
libvirtd would need to be changed to open this existing device
(currently it only opens macvtap devices that it creates). This is
option #1.

> The rest should be an implementation detail.
>
> Am I right?  Did I miss anything?

I don't think so, I'm interested if option #1 is workable or if there is
interest in option #2 which is to do something like /dev/net/tun in the
kernel for macvtap devices.

Since as Daniel pointed out something like option #1 is going to be
needed anyways to work on older kernels it seems like the best option?

Thanks,

-Jason