Date:   Sat, 28 Jul 2018 11:06:08 -0500
From:   Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@...nel.org>
To:     Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@...il.com>
Cc:     Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>,
        Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>,
        Eran Ben Elisha <eranbe@...lanox.com>,
        Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...lanox.com>,
        linux-pci <linux-pci@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [net-next 10/16] net/mlx5: Support PCIe buffer congestion
 handling via Devlink

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 07:00:20AM -0700, Alexander Duyck wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 12:14 AM, Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us> wrote:

> >>Agreed, for actual PCIe configuration (i.e. not ECN marking) we do need
> >>to build up an API.  Sharing it across subsystems would be very cool!

I read the thread (starting at [1], for anybody else coming in late)
and I see this has something to do with "configuring outbound PCIe
buffers", but I haven't seen the connection to PCIe protocol or
features, i.e., I can't connect this to anything in the PCIe spec.

Can somebody help me understand how the PCI core is relevant?  If
there's some connection with a feature defined by PCIe, or if it
affects the PCIe transaction protocol somehow, I'm definitely
interested in this.  But if this only affects the data transferred
over PCIe, i.e., the data payloads of PCIe TLP packets, then I'm not
sure why the PCI core should care.

> > I wonder howcome there isn't such API in place already. Or is it?
> > If it is not, do you have any idea how should it look like? Should it be
> > an extension of the existing PCI uapi or something completely new?
> > It would be probably good to loop some PCI people in...
>
> The closest thing I can think of in terms of answering your questions
> as to why we haven't seen anything like that would be setpci.
> Basically with that tool you can go through the PCI configuration
> space and update any piece you want. The problem is it can have
> effects on the driver and I don't recall there ever being any sort of
> notification mechanism added to make a driver aware of configuration
> updates.

setpci is a development and debugging tool, not something we should
use as the standard way of configuring things.  Use of setpci should
probably taint the kernel because the PCI core configures features
like MPS, ASPM, AER, etc., based on the assumption that nobody else is
changing things in PCI config space.

[1] https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20180719010107.22363-11-saeedm@mellanox.com