Date:   Mon, 30 Jul 2018 20:19:50 -0700
From:   Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@...il.com>
To:     Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@...nel.org>
Cc:     Moshe Shemesh <moshes20.il@...il.com>,
        Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>,
        Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>,
        Eran Ben Elisha <eranbe@...lanox.com>,
        Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...lanox.com>,
        linux-pci <linux-pci@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [net-next 10/16] net/mlx5: Support PCIe buffer congestion
 handling via Devlink

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 7:33 PM, Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@...nel.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 08:02:48AM -0700, Alexander Duyck wrote:

>> > This sounds like a hook that allows the device to tell its driver
>> > about PCIe flow control credits, and the driver can pass that on to
>> > the network stack.  IIUC, that would be a device-specific feature
>> > outside the scope of the PCI core.

>> > We do support ASPM already in the PCI core, and we do have the
>> > pci_disable_link_state() interface, which is currently the only way
>> > drivers can influence it.  There are several drivers that do their own
>> > ASPM configuration, but this is not safe because it's not coordinated
>> > with what the PCI core does.  If/when drivers need more control, we
>> > should enhance the PCI core interfaces.
>>
>> This is kind of what I was getting at. It would be useful to have an
>> interface of some sort so that drivers get notified when a user is
>> making changes to configuration space and I don't know if anything
>> like that exists now.
>
> You mean something like this?
>
>   - driver registers a callback with PCI core
>   - user runs setpci, which writes PCI config space via sysfs
>   - kernel hook in pci_write_config() notices write and calls driver
>     callback
>   - driver callback receives config address and data written
>   - driver parses PCI capability lists to identify register
>
> Nothing like that exists today, and this is not what I had in mind by
> "enhance the PCI core interfaces".  I'm not sure what the utility of
> this is (but I'm not a networking guy by any means).

Well in general I have been wondering if setpci is really the cleanest
way to do any of this. I have found it can be a fast way to really
mess things up. For example using setpci to trigger an FLR is a fast
way to cripple an interface. I recall using that approach when testing
the fm10k driver to deal with surprise resets.

The problem is setpci is REALLY powerful. It lets you change a ton
that can impact the driver, and many drivers just read the config
space at the probe function and assume it is static (which in most
cases it is). That is why I was thinking as a small step it might be
useful to have the notifications delivered to the driver if it is
registered on the interface so it could prepare or clean-up after a
change to the PCI configuration space.

> I think it's a bad idea for drivers to directly write config space.
> It would be much better to provide a PCI core interface so we can
> implement things once and coordinate things that need to be
> coordinated.

I agree with that.

>> > I don't know what PCIe DMA coalescing means, so I can't comment on
>> > that.
>>
>> There are devices, specifically network devices, that will hold off on
>> switching between either L0s or L1 and L0 by deferring DMA operations.
>> Basically the idea is supposed to be to hold off bringing the link up
>> for as long as possible in order to maximize power savings for the
>> ASPM state. This is something that has come up in the past, and I
>> don't know if there has been any interface determined for how to
>> handle this sort of configuration. Most of it occurs through MMIO.
>
> The device can certainly delay L0s or L1 exit if it wants to.  If
> there are knobs to control this, e.g., how long it can defer a DMA, it
> makes sense that they would be device-specific and in MMIO space.  The
> PCI core can't be involved in that because in general it knows nothing
> about the contents of MMIO BARs.  Presumably those knobs would work
> within the framework of ASPM as defined by the PCIe spec, e.g., if we
> disable ASPM, the knobs would do nothing because there is no L0s or L1
> at all.
>
> That's not to say that device designers couldn't get together and
> define a common model for such knobs that puts them at well-known
> offsets in well-known BARs.  All I'm saying is that this sounds like
> it's currently outside the realm of the PCI specs and the PCI core.

Some of this was already handled in LTR and OBFF. I think the DMA
coalescing was meant to work either with those, or optionally on its
own. As far as being ASPM dependent or not I don't think it really
cared all that much other than knowing if ASPM was enabled and how
long it takes for a given device to come out of either of those
states. The general idea with DMA coalescing was to try and save power
on the CPU and then possibly the PCIe link if the value was set high
enough and ASPM was enabled.

Anyway we have kind of gotten off into a tangent as I was just citing
something that might end up having an interaction with a feature such
as notifying the stack that the Rx buffer on a given device has become
congested.

>> > Devices can communicate the ASPM exit latency they can tolerate via
>> > the Device Capabilities register (PCIe r4.0, sec 76.5.3.3).  Linux
>> > should be configuring ASPM to respect those device requirements.
>>
>> Right. But my point was something like ASPM will add extra complexity
>> to a feature such as what has been described here. My concern is that
>> I don't want us implementing stuff on a per-driver basis that is not
>> all that unique to the device. I don't really see the feature that was
>> described above as being something that will stay specific to this one
>> device for very long, especially if it provides added value. Basically
>> all it is doing is allowing exposing PCIe congestion management to
>> upper levels in the network stack. I don't even necessarily see it as
>> being networking specific as I would imagine there might be other
>> types of devices that could make use of knowing how many transactions
>> and such they could process at the same time.
>
> It sounds to me like you need a library that can be used by all the
> drivers that need this functionality.  Unless it's something
> documented in the PCIe specs so we can rely on a standard way of
> discovering and configuring things, I don't see how the PCI core can
> really be involved.
>
> Bjorn

I am kind of thinking that a common library would be a preferred way
to go, or at least a common interface to share between the drivers. It
wasn't my intention to imply that the PCI core needed to get involved.
I was including the linux-pci list as more of a way of checking to get
the broader audience's input since we were just discussing this on
netdev.

My main concern is that those of us on netdev have historically we
have been dealing with features such as SR-IOV as a networking thing,
when really it has been a combination of a PCI feature and some
network switching. I might have ratholed this a bit, as I kind of see
this topic as something similar.

- Alex