Date:   Wed, 15 Aug 2018 21:18:30 +0000
From:   Chris Packham <Chris.Packham@...iedtelesis.co.nz>
To:     Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@...tlin.com>,
        Joacim Zetterling <joacim.zetterling@...termo.se>
CC:     Grégory Clement <gregory.clement@...tlin.com>,
Subject: Re: 98DX3336 net driver

Hi Joacim,

On 16/08/18 01:46, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello Joacim,
>
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 11:48:17 +0000, Joacim Zetterling wrote:
>
>> Sorry for bothering You! But I have a short question that You may have an answer to.
>>
>> Just wondering if You know where to find a "marvell,prestera-98dx3336" packet processor driver?
>>
>> Stated in the dts files for the xCat family (armada-xp-3233/3336/4251)
>>
>> I searched a lot without any success. Is it delivered from Marvell.
>>
>> We have a PonCat3 platform build on nativ linux instead of using Marvell:s CPSS suite (beast).
>>
>> But have some problems regarding the network.
>>
>> We also have the DB-XC3-24G4XG development board from Marvell.
>
> I'm adding Chris Packham in Cc, who added the DT bindings for the
> Prestera switch and the DT description for it in the mainline Linux
> kernel.
>
> I believe there is no driver in the upstream Linux kernel for this
> switch, and you need to use some out of tree Marvell-specific driver
> for this. For sure Chris can give you more details about this.
>
> Do not hesitate to get back to us if you need to support the Prestera
> switch in the mainline Linux kernel.

Unfortunately there isn't proper a driver available. The CPSS from
Marvell is needed.

Their reference code has some partially DT aware support (mvMbusDrv) but
it wouldn't pick up this binding.

We have code that does but it is really little more than providing raw
HW access via a file handle that can be mmapped by a userspace
application linked against the CPSS. I haven't put any effort into
upstreaming this because I figured no-one would be interested as it's
pretty useless without the userspace portion.

If there is enough interest I'd be keen participate in creating an
in-kernel switchdev driver for these chips (you're not the first to
ask). I'd need to be careful w.r.t. various NDAs that are in place.

Regards,
Chris