Date:   Wed, 12 Sep 2018 21:37:53 +0200
From:   Johannes Berg <johannes@...solutions.net>
To:     Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@...e.cz>
Cc:     David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 1/2] netlink: add NLA_REJECT policy type

On Wed, 2018-09-12 at 21:29 +0200, Michal Kubecek wrote:

> > 3) eventually replace nlmsg_parse() calls by nlmsg_parse_strict() and
> >    see what breaks? :-) We won't be able to rely on that any time soon
> >    though (unless userspace first checks with a guaranteed rejected
> >    attribute, e.g. one that has NLA_REJECT, perhaps the u64 pad
> >    attributes could be marked such since the kernel can't assume
> >    alignment anyway)
>
> I'm not so sure we (eventually) want to reject unknown attributes
> everywhere. I don't have any concrete example in mind but I think there
> will be use cases where we want to ignore unrecognized attributes
> (probably per parse call). But it makes sense to require caller to
> explicitely declare this is the case.

Yeah, I think nla_parse() vs. nla_parse_strict() - along with
remembering in review to say "perhaps you should prefer
nla_parse_strict() for this new thing" might be all we want (or
realistically can do).

> > While we're talking about wishlist, I'm also toying with the idea of
> > having some sort of generic mechanism to convert netlink attributes
> > to/from structs, for internal kernel representation; so far though I
> > haven't been able to come up with anything useful.
>
> I was also thinking about something like this. One motivation was to
> design extensible version of ethtool_ops, the other was allowing complex
> data types (structures, arrays) for ethtool tunables. But I have nothing
> more than a vague idea so far.

I played with macros a bit, but ultimately that wasn't so readable.
There's no way to do upper-casing in the preprocessor :-) Realistically,
I ended up with something that would require either a lot of boiler-
plate code estill, or perhaps double-including a header file (though I
never really finished the latter thought.)

This is what I toyed with earlier today:
https://p.sipsolutions.net/35e260d7debaa406.txt

johannes