Date:   Fri, 5 Oct 2018 10:50:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:   Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@....pp.se>
To:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: question regarding Linux kernel handling of packets received that
 has src address of interface address

Hi,

in the context of this IETF draft:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-patterson-intarea-ipoe-health-05

we're looking into being able to do internet access health check, by
sending a packet to ourself via the upstream ISP router, to check if
everything is still alive.

Deployment scenario is as follows:

<Internet> BNG <-L2-> <WAN-RG-LAN>

For the normal deployment scenario, the WAN address of the RG (residential
gateway) will have both IPv4 and IPv6 packets.

So let's say in this case that WAN has 100.64.0.2 address and BNG has
100.64.0.1 address. For IPv6 they have 2001:db8::2 and ::1 respectively,
and RG has prefix 2001:db8:100::/56 routed to 2001:db8::2.

On the RG we would take the mac address of the BNG by looking at the
100.64.0.1 ARP entry, look at our own WAN mac address and form a packet:

RG-WAN-MAC > BNG-WAN-MAC IP SRC: 100.64.0.2 IP DST 100.64.0.2

we would then get back a packet (since the SRC passes the BNG
anti-spoofing rule, it's then just forwarded according to the normal
forwarding table):

BNG-WAN-MAC > RG-WAN-MAC IP SRC: 100.64.0.2 IP DST 100.64.0.2

So we're sending a packet with our own address as both src and dst, just
now instead with the mac addresses swapped because it went in via the BNG
routing engine and was sentback to us. For IPv6, look at
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/v6ops/current/msg30041.html

If I make "ncat" listen to UDP port 10000, I can successfully receive
packets with src not my own interface address, which is fine for the
DHCPv6-PD case (I have plenty of LAN addresses to choose from), but it
doesn't work for the IPv6 IA_NA and IPv4 case. I have to use my source
address to pass the BNG anti-spoofing filters.

So my question is where in the Linux kernel is this check performed that
disallows incoming packets that have src IP address the same as an
interface address? Can it be turned off? Is there a way to "hack around
it", for instance with iptables and re-write the source address of the
packet before it hits this check (I don't care about the source address
when the packet is delivered to the application, it can be re-written to
anything).

rp_filter is turned off in my testing.

Thanks.

--