Date:   Tue, 27 Nov 2018 10:00:36 +0000
From:   Maxim Mikityanskiy <maximmi@...lanox.com>
To:     "netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...lanox.com>,
        Jason Wang <jasowang@...hat.com>,
        Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
        "David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>
CC:     Willem de Bruijn <willemb@...gle.com>,
        Eran Ben Elisha <eranbe@...lanox.com>,
        Tariq Toukan <tariqt@...lanox.com>
Subject: Invalid transport_offset with AF_PACKET socket

Hi everyone,

We are experiencing an issue with Mellanox mlx5 driver, and I tracked it down to
the packet_snd function in net/packet/af_packet.c.

Brief description: when a socket is created by calling `socket(AF_PACKET,
SOCK_RAW, 0)`, the mlx5 driver receives an skb with wrong transport_offset,
which can confuse the driver and cause the transmit to fail (depending on the
configuration of the NIC).

The flow is the following:

1. packet_snd is called.

2. dev->hard_header_len (which is 14) is assigned to reserve.

3. The value of the third parameter of the initial socket() call is assigned to
skb->protocol. In our case, it's 0.

4. skb_probe_transport_header is called with offset_hint == reserve (which is
14).

5. __skb_flow_dissect fails, because skb->protocol is 0.

6. skb_probe_transport_header happily sets transport_header to 14.

I find this behavior (defaulting to 14) strange, because network_header is also
set to 14, and the transport_header value is just wrong. Moreover, there are two
more calls to skb_probe_transport_header in this file with offset_hint == 0,
which looks more reasonable (if we can't find the transport header, we indicate
that there is none, instead of pointing to the network header).

Does anyone know why offset_hint is set to 14 in this single place? Can it be
replaced by 0 safely, and what can be the consequences?

Also, what guarantees does kernel provide for the network and transport header
offsets? Especially in raw sockets, where the headers are not generated by
different stack layers.

Thanks,
Max