Date:   Tue, 27 Nov 2018 20:06:52 -0500
From:   Willem de Bruijn <willemdebruijn.kernel@...il.com>
To:     maximmi@...lanox.com
Cc:     Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...lanox.com>,
        Jason Wang <jasowang@...hat.com>,
        Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
        David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Willem de Bruijn <willemb@...gle.com>, eranbe@...lanox.com,
        Tariq Toukan <tariqt@...lanox.com>
Subject: Re: Invalid transport_offset with AF_PACKET socket

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 6:08 PM Willem de Bruijn
<willemdebruijn.kernel@...il.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 3:32 PM Willem de Bruijn
> <willemdebruijn.kernel@...il.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 2:58 PM Willem de Bruijn
> > <willemdebruijn.kernel@...il.com> wrote:

> > > That is not what offset_hint 0 does. It also sets the transport header
> > > to the same as the network header.
> >
> > Actually, what you observe may be due to commit  b84bbaf7a6c8cc
> > ("packet: in packet_snd start writing at link layer allocation"). This
> > updated skb_set_network_header, but not the fall-back value for
> > skb_probe_transport_header. Let me take a closer look.
>
> No, before and after the transport header is set to the same offset
> as the network header.
>
> This does leave the question whether the transport header would
> be better of not being set if it cannot be probed. I have not checked
> whether anything in the stack requires it to be set (i.e., not ~0U).
>
> The result with SOCK_DGRAM is actually probably buggy. In that
> case reserve is 0. But as in the case of SOCK_RAW skb->data is
> pointing to the link layer header when passing to po->xmit. So,
> nh_off is ETH_HLEN, but th_off is 0.

The same happens with SOCK_RAW using PACKET_TX_RING.

Instrumenting the functions to see the offsets, I observe the
following offsets from skb->head:

packet_snd, sock_raw:       data=2, nh=16, th=16
packet_snd, sock_dgram:   data=2, nh=16, th=2
tpacket_snd, sock_raw:      data=2, nh=16, th=2

Recall that data has to point to the link layer header at this
point, so the ETH_HLEN difference between data and nh is correct.

Of these, only the first looks remotely correct to me. Yet this
is the (only?) one that you observed causing problems for the
device. Perhaps because offset 0 is treated as a special valid
case in mlx5e_calc_min_inline.