Date:   Sat, 30 Mar 2019 08:35:27 +0100
From:   Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
To:     Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>
Cc:     Linux Netdev List <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, mlxsw@...lanox.com,
        Ido Schimmel <idosch@...lanox.com>,
        Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
        Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>, vivien.didelot@...il.com,
        Michael Chan <michael.chan@...adcom.com>,
        Or Gerlitz <ogerlitz@...lanox.com>
Subject: Re: [patch net-next 00/12] net: expose switch ID via devlink

Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 11:34:14PM CET, jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 2:21 PM Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us> wrote:

>> >Sure, that you could achieve by putting the data in the netdevice
>> >structure as well..
>> >
>> >What is the guiding principle here?  I'm trying to argue for leaving
>> >forwarding-related info in netdev code, and only have HW control in
>> >devlink.  I just don't see switch id being useful at devlink level in
>> >any way.
>>
>> Well we have switchib driver which does not have any netdevice and still
>> the ports are part of a switch. In other words, this is not
>> ethernet-specific attribute, therefore devlink is the right fit.
>
>Ack, but switch id is a switchdev thing, controlling which ports are
>considered to be part of the same device _for_ _switchdev_.

"Switchdev" is a bridge offload. Nothing else.

>Is switchib doing forwarding?  Not long ago Parav was convincing us
>that switchdev mode for IB is pretty much meaningless.  Even though
>there are apparently representors for IB (judging by the recent RDMA
>patchset on netdev)...

Switch id is simply identifier for ports in general that belong to some
switch. No matter if ethernet or IB.

>> >If the flavour already gives that information, why crowd the attributes
>> >for ports with switch id?
>>
>> Hmm, we'll have multiple non-switch port flavours and once your vf/pf
>> patchset  hits the tree we'll have multipkle switch port flavours.
>> So makes sense to have switch id.
>
>It's probably a matter of preference then.  To me its very clear to say that
>you can switch to physical/vf/pf ports and not cpu/dsa/host. I don't like
>the duplication of dumpnig the same attribute both in rtnetlink and devlink.

I want to remind you, that switch_id in rtnetlink was introduced before
devlink existed. Back than, if was the only place to put it. However, as
I explained, it is not ethernet speficic thing and rather belongs to
devlink. This patchset is doing that.

>> Also, you can have multiple switches within one asic.
>
>That line is blurry.

It is. So far, it is mlx CX hw that have basically 2 switches, one per
PF.

>> >Out of curiosity, what are the shared features?  It seems mlx5 drives
>> >a lot of our API design, it'd be good if the community had a better
>> >understanding of it.
>>
>> I have to gather that info. Not so many things are shared. There is one
>> extra switch to mix 2 pfs together. I know about some IB features that
>> also mix 2 pfs.
>
>I see, so a dual port IB card would somehow have only one whatever the
>equivalent of a netdev in IB world is?

Yes. We have a patchset internally to manage that.