Date:   Mon, 15 Jul 2019 16:00:43 -0700
From:   Andrii Nakryiko <andrii.nakryiko@...il.com>
To:     Jiong Wang <jiong.wang@...ronome.com>
Cc:     Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Edward Cree <ecree@...arflare.com>,
        "Naveen N. Rao" <naveen.n.rao@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
        Andrii Nakryiko <andriin@...com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>,
        bpf <bpf@...r.kernel.org>, Networking <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        oss-drivers@...ronome.com, Yonghong Song <yhs@...com>
Subject: Re: [RFC bpf-next 0/8] bpf: accelerate insn patching speed

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 3:55 PM Andrii Nakryiko
<andrii.nakryiko@...il.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > > jumps inside of patch buffer, it will automatically work for core
> > > layer. Or what am I missing?
> >
> > I meant in core layer (JIT blinding), there is the following patching:
> >
> > input:
> >   insn 0             insn 0
> >   insn 1             insn 1
> >   jmp_imm   >>       mov_imm  \
> >   insn 2             xor_imm    insn seq expanded from jmp_imm
> >   insn 3             jmp_reg  /
> >                      insn 2
> >                      insn 3
> >

> > jmp_imm is the insn that will be patched, and the actually transformation
> > is to expand it into mov_imm/xor_imm/jmp_reg sequence. "jmp_reg", sitting
> > at the end of the patch buffer, must jump to the same destination as the
> > original jmp_imm, so "jmp_reg" is an insn inside patch buffer but should
> > be relocated, and the jump destination is outside of patch buffer.
>

> Ok, great, thanks for explaining, yeah it's definitely something that
> we should be able to support. BUT. It got me thinking a bit more and I
> think I have simpler and more elegant solution now, again, supporting
> both core-layer and verifier-layer operations.
>
> struct bpf_patchable_insn {
>    struct bpf_patchable_insn *next;
>    struct bpf_insn insn;
>    int orig_idx; /* original non-patched index */
>    int new_idx;  /* new index, will be filled only during linearization */
> };
>
> struct bpf_patcher {
>     /* dummy head node of a chain of patchable instructions */
>     struct bpf_patchable_insn insn_head;
>     /* dynamic array of size(original instruction count)
>      * this is a map from original instruction index to a first
>      * patchable instruction that replaced that instruction (or
>      * just original instruction as bpf_patchable_insn).
>      */
>     int *orig_idx_to_patchable_insn;
>     int cnt;
> };
>
> Few points, but it should be pretty clear just from comments and definitions:
> 1. When you created bpf_patcher, you create patchabe_insn list, fill
> orig_idx_to_patchable_insn map to store proper pointers. This array is
> NEVER changed after that.
> 2. When replacing instruction, you re-use struct bpf_patchable_insn
> for first patched instruction, then append after that (not prepend to
> 3. During linearizations, you first traverse the chain of instructions
> and trivially assing new_idxs.
> 4. No need for patchabe_insn->target anymore. All jumps use relative
> instruction offsets, right? So when you need to determine new
> instruction index during linearization, you just do (after you
> calculated new instruction indicies):
>
> func adjust_jmp(struct bpf_patcher* patcher, struct bpf_patchable_insn *insn) {
>    int old_jmp_idx = insn->orig_idx + jmp_offset_of(insn->insn);
>    int new_jmp_idx = patcher->orig_idx_to_patchable_insn[old_jmp_idx]->new_idx;
>    adjust_jmp_offset(insn->insn, new_jmp_idx) - insn->orig_idx;

Forgot to mention. To handle deleted insns, you can either traverse
till you find first non-deleted instruction after that one, or during
filling of new_idx, just make sure to that new_idx of deleted
instruction is the same as the first non-deleted instruction's
new_idx.

For subprogs (presuming there is no case where we can just eliminate
entire subprog), you can just do simple look up from original index to
a new index. No need to copy/recalculate, etc. It's just orig_idx ->
new_idx mapping.