Date:   Wed, 15 Jul 2020 01:17:26 +0000
From:   "Wang, Haiyue" <haiyue.wang@...el.com>
To:     Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
CC:     "Nguyen, Anthony L" <anthony.l.nguyen@...el.com>,
        "davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        "nhorman@...hat.com" <nhorman@...hat.com>,
        "sassmann@...hat.com" <sassmann@...hat.com>,
        "Kirsher, Jeffrey T" <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
        "Lu, Nannan" <nannan.lu@...el.com>,
        "Bowers, AndrewX" <andrewx.bowers@...el.com>
Subject: RE: [net-next 1/5] ice: add the virtchnl handler for AdminQ command

Sure, I will try to describe the whole story.

> We are talking about a single control domain here, correct?

Correct.

As you know, with the help of vfio-pci kernel module, we can write the user space
driver for PCI devices, like DPDK. ;-)

We have
  1). user space iavf framework:
	http://git.dpdk.org/dpdk/tree/drivers/common/iavf

  2). user space iavf driver:
      http://git.dpdk.org/dpdk/tree/drivers/net/iavf

  3). user space ice driver with no SR-IOV support:
      http://git.dpdk.org/dpdk/tree/drivers/net/ice

Nowadays, the concept of control path and data path separation is popular, we tried
to design a software defined control path by the above software portfolio, and the
scenario is described in:
      http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/nics/ice.html 23.4.3. Device Config Function (DCF)

With the patch in user space ice driver:
      http://git.dpdk.org/dpdk/commit/?id=c5dccda9f2ae6ecc716892c233a0dadc94e013da

and this patch set in ice kernel driver, we can now promote the VF from iAVF (data
path we called) to DCF (control path) for each PF device.