Date:   Fri, 9 Apr 2021 12:44:12 -0700
From:   Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
To:     Claudiu Manoil <claudiu.manoil@...il.com>
Cc:     Claudiu Manoil <claudiu.manoil@....com>,
        "Y.b. Lu" <yangbo.lu@....com>,
        "David S . Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Richard Cochran <richardcochran@...il.com>,
        Vladimir Oltean <vladimir.oltean@....com>,
        Russell King <linux@...linux.org.uk>
Subject: Re: [net-next, v2, 2/2] enetc: support PTP Sync packet one-step
 timestamping

On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 22:32:49 +0300 Claudiu Manoil wrote:
> On 09.04.2021 19:09, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> > On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 06:37:53 +0000 Claudiu Manoil wrote:
> >> Please try test_and_set_bit_lock()/ clear_bit_unlock() based on Jakub's
> >> suggestion, and see if it works for you / whether it can replace the mutex.
> >
> > I was thinking that with multiple queues just a bit won't be sufficient
> > because:
> >
> > xmit:				work:
> > test_bit... // already set
> > 				dequeue // empty
> > enqueue
> > 				clear_bit()
> >
> > That frame will never get sent, no?
>
> I don't see any issue with Yangbo's initial design actually, I was just
> suggesting him to replace the mutex with a bit lock, based on your comments.
> That means:
> xmit:		work:				clean_tx_ring: //Tx conf
> skb_queue_tail()
> 		skb_dequeue()
> 		test_and_set_bit_lock()
> 						clear_bit_unlock()
>
> The skb queue is one per device, as it needs to serialize ptp skbs
> for that device (due to the restriction that a ptp packet cannot be
> enqueued for transmission if there's another ptp packet waiting
> for transmission in a h/w descriptor ring).
>
> If multiple ptp skbs are coming in from different xmit queues at the
> same time (same device), they are enqueued in the common priv->tx_skbs
> queue (skb_queue_tail() is protected by locks), and the worker thread is
> started.
> The worker dequeues the first ptp skb, and places the packet in the h/w
> descriptor ring for transmission. Then dequeues the second skb and waits
> at the lock (or mutex or whatever lock is preferred).
> Upon transmission of the ptp packet the lock is released by the Tx
> confirmation napi thread (clean_tx_ring()) and the next PTP skb can be
> placed in the corresponding descriptor ring for transmission by the
> worker thread.

I see. I thought you were commenting on my scheme. Yes, if only the
worker is allowed to send there is no race, that should work well.

In my suggestion I was trying to allow the first frame to be sent
directly without going via the queue and requiring the worker to be
scheduled in.

> So the way I understood your comments is that you'd rather use a spin
> lock in the worker thread instead of a mutex.

Not exactly, my main objection was that the mutex was used for wake up.
Worker locks it, completion path unlocks it.

Your suggestion of using a bit works well. Just Instead of a loop the
worker needs to send a single skb, and completion needs to schedule it
again.