Date:   Thu, 10 Nov 2022 16:33:39 -0800
From:   Martin KaFai Lau <martin.lau@...ux.dev>
To:     Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@...gle.com>,
        Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@...hat.com>
Cc:     ast@...nel.org, daniel@...earbox.net, andrii@...nel.org,
        song@...nel.org, yhs@...com, john.fastabend@...il.com,
        kpsingh@...nel.org, haoluo@...gle.com, jolsa@...nel.org,
        David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
        Willem de Bruijn <willemb@...gle.com>,
        Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>,
        Anatoly Burakov <anatoly.burakov@...el.com>,
        Alexander Lobakin <alexandr.lobakin@...el.com>,
        Magnus Karlsson <magnus.karlsson@...il.com>,
        Maryam Tahhan <mtahhan@...hat.com>, xdp-hints@...-project.net,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org, bpf@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [xdp-hints] Re: [RFC bpf-next v2 06/14] xdp: Carry over xdp
 metadata into skb context

On 11/10/22 3:52 PM, Stanislav Fomichev wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 3:14 PM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@...hat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Skipping to the last bit:

>>> I'd gladly keep my current requirement where it's either or, but not both :-)
>>> We can relax it later if required?
>>
>> So the way I've been thinking about it is simply that the skb_metadata
>> would live in the same place at the data_meta pointer (including
>> adjusting that pointer to accommodate it), and just overriding the
>> existing program metadata, if any exists. But looking at it now, I guess
>> having the split makes it easier for a program to write its own custom
>> metadata and still use the skb metadata. See below about the ordering.

Yeah, for the kernel and xdp prog (ie not AF_XDP), I meant this:

| skb_metadata | custom metadata | data |

>>> I was suggesting the other way around: |custom meta|skb_metadata|data|
>>> (but, as Martin points out, consuming skb_metadata in the kernel
>>> becomes messier)
>>>
>>> af_xdp can check whether skb_metdata is present by looking at data -
>>> offsetof(struct skb_metadata, btf_id).
>>> progs that know how to handle custom metadata, will look at data -
>>> sizeof(skb_metadata)
>>>
>>> Otherwise, if it's the other way around, how do we find skb_metadata
>>> in a redirected frame?
>>> Let's say we have |skb_metadata|custom meta|data|, how does the final
>>> program find skb_metadata?
>>> All the progs have to agree on the sizeof(tc/custom meta), right?
>>
>> Erm, maybe I'm missing something here, but skb_metadata is fixed size,
>> right? So if the "skb_metadata is present" flag is set, we know that the
>> sizeof(skb_metadata) bytes before the data_meta pointer contains the
>> metadata, and if the flag is not set, we know those bytes are not valid
>> metadata.

right, so to get to the skb_metadata, it will be
data_meta -= sizeof(skb_metadata);  /* probably need alignment */

>> For AF_XDP, we'd need to transfer the flag as well, and it could apply
>> the same logic (getting the size from the vmlinux BTF).
>>
>> By this logic, the BTF_ID should be the *first* entry of struct
>> skb_metadata, since that will be the field AF_XDP programs can find
>> right off the bat, no? >
> The problem with AF_XDP is that, IIUC, it doesn't have a data_meta
> pointer in the userspace.

Yep. It is my understanding also.  Missing data_meta pointer in the AF_XDP
rx_desc is a potential problem.  Having BTF_ID or not won't help.

> You get an rx descriptor where the address points to the 'data':
> | 256 bytes headroom where metadata can go | data |
>
> So you have (at most) 256 bytes of headroom, some of that might be the
> metadata, but you really don't know where it starts. But you know it
> definitely ends where the data begins.
>
> So if we have the following, we can locate skb_metadata:
> | 256-sizeof(skb_metadata) headroom | custom metadata | skb_metadata | data |
> data - sizeof(skb_metadata) will get you there
>
> But if it's the other way around, the program has to know
> sizeof(custom metadata) to locate skb_metadata:
> | 256-sizeof(skb_metadata) headroom | skb_metadata | custom metadata | data |

Right, this won't work if the AF_XDP user does not know how big the custom
metadata is.  The kernel then needs to swap the "skb_metadata" and "custom
metadata" + setting a flag in the AF_XDP rx_desc->options to make it looks like
this:
| custom metadata | skb_metadata | data |

However, since data_meta is missing from the rx_desc, may be we can safely
assume the AF_XDP user always knows the size of the custom metadata or there is
usually no "custom metadata" and no swap is needed?