Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 07:30:36 +0200
From: Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@...il.com>
To: Richard Schneiderman <schneiderman.richard@...oo.com>,
Subject: Re: r8125b ethernet hardware

On 05.05.2023 01:36, Richard Schneiderman wrote:
> Hi LinuxDevs,
>
> I have a Gigabyte Aorus Elite z690 AX ddr4 board.  I'm sure you're familiar with the r8125B ethernet issues.  So on the 5.19 kernel, if i run the r8169 driver i get a disconnect pretty quicky from my ethernet, around 20 min,  If i compile the recent r8125 module from realtek, i can can just over an hour before disconnect.

This sounds like you suspect a general issue on all systems with RTL8125B.
In this case we would have seen another number of reports. So it seems to
be something specific to your system.
What do you mean with "disconnect", you refer to link loss? In this case
root cause may be somewhere on the physical side, e.g. cabling,
RJ45 sockets, link partner.

> the r8169 module seems a bit longer using kernel 6.1.3, sometimes an hour.  I"m using mainline installer for ubuntu to switch kernels.

Note that Ubuntu uses a modified downstream kernel that's not supported
here. Preferably compile a mainline kernel yourself.

> So hear are my questions.
>
> 1. Will this ever be resolved?
> 2. Is RealTek working on this.  Even with the win10 drivers, i'm getting disconnects but the connection comes back immediately.  ubuntu requires a reboot.  the 10.056 windows driver seems to be the most stable.

Typically the Windows driver is the one best maintained by Realtek. If you
face the issue even with this driver, then it's less likely that root cause
is an issue with the r8169 driver.