Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 08:33:28 +0200
From: Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
To: Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
Cc: netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ynl - mutiple policies for one nested attr used in multiple cmds

Fri, Aug 04, 2023 at 09:58:16PM CEST, kuba@...nel.org wrote:
>On Fri, 4 Aug 2023 19:29:31 +0200 Jiri Pirko wrote:
>> I need to have one nested attribute but according to what cmd it is used
>> with, there will be different nested policy.
>>
>> If I'm looking at the codes correctly, that is not currenly supported,
>> correct?
>>
>> If not, why idea how to format this in yaml file?
>
>I'm not sure if you'll like it but my first choice would be to skip
>the selector attribute. Put the attributes directly into the message.
>There is no functional purpose the wrapping serves, right?

Well, the only reason is backward compatibility.
Currently, there is no attr parsing during dump, which is ensured by
GENL_DONT_VALIDATE_DUMP flag. That means if user passes any attr, it is
ignored.

Now if we allow attrs to select, previously ignored attributes would be
processed now. User that passed crap with old kernel can gen different
results with new kernel.

That is why I decided to add selector attr and put attrs inside, doing
strict parsing, so if selector attr is not supported by kernel, user
gets message back.

So what do you suggest? Do per-dump strict parsing policy of root
attributes serving to do selection?