Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 11:19:47 +0800
From: Hangbin Liu <liuhangbin@...il.com>
To: Jay Vosburgh <jay.vosburgh@...onical.com>
Cc: netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: bonding: Do we need netlink events for LACP status?

On Mon, Mar 04, 2024 at 10:33:27PM -0800, Jay Vosburgh wrote:
> Hangbin Liu <liuhangbin@...il.com> wrote:
>
> >A customer asked to add netlink event notifications for LACP bond state
> >changes. With this, the network monitor could get the LACP state of bonding
> >and port interfaces, and end user may change the down link port based
> >on the current LACP state. Do you think if this is a reasonable case
> >and do able? If yes, I will add it to my to do list.
>
> 	I think I'm going to need some more detail here.
>
> 	To make sure I understand, the suggestion here is to add netlink
> notifications for transitions in the LACP mux state machine (ATTACHED,
> COLLECTING, DISTRIBUTING, et al), correct?  If not, then what

Yes, the LACP mux state. Maybe also including the port channel info.

> specifically do you mean?
>
> 	Also, what does "change the down link port" mean?

If a port is down, or in attached state for a period, which means the end
of port is not in a channel, or the switch crash. The admin could detect this
via the LACP state notification and remove the port from bond, adding other
ports to the bond, etc.

Thanks
Hangbin