Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 16:51:45 -0700
From: Vinicius Costa Gomes <vinicius.gomes@...el.com>
To: Simon Horman <horms@...nel.org>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Cc: Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>, Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>, Madhu
 Chittim <madhu.chittim@...el.com>, Sridhar Samudrala
 <sridhar.samudrala@...el.com>, Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] HW TX Rate Limiting Driver API

Hi,

Simon Horman <horms@...nel.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> This is follow-up to the ongoing discussion started by Intel to extend the
> support for TX shaping H/W offload [1].
>
> The goal is allowing the user-space to configure TX shaping offload on a
> per-queue basis with min guaranteed B/W, max B/W limit and burst size on a
> VF device.

What about non-VF cases? Would it be out of scope?

> In the past few months several different solutions were attempted and
> discussed, without finding a perfect fit:
>
> - devlink_rate APIs are not appropriate for to control TX shaping on netdevs
> - No existing TC qdisc offload covers the required feature set
> - HTB does not allow direct queue configuration
> - MQPRIO imposes constraint on the maximum number of TX queues
> - TBF does not support max B/W limit
> - ndo_set_tx_maxrate() only controls the max B/W limit

Another questions: is how "to plug" different shaper algorithms? for
example, the TSN world defines the Credit Based Shaper (IEEE 802.1Q-2018
Annex L gives a good overview), which tries to be accurate over sub
milisecond intervals.

(sooner or later, some NIC with lots of queues will appear with TSN
features, and I guess some people would like to know that they are using
the expected shaper)

> A new H/W offload API is needed, but offload API proliferation should be
> avoided.
>
> The following proposal intends to cover the above specified requirement and
> provide a possible base to unify all the shaping offload APIs mentioned above.
>
> The following only defines the in-kernel interface between the core and
> drivers. The intention is to expose the feature to user-space via Netlink.
> Hopefully the latter part should be straight-forward after agreement
> on the in-kernel interface.

Another thing that MQPRIO (indirectly) gives is the ability to userspace
applications to have some amount of control in which queue their packets
will end up, via skb->priority.

Would this new shaper hierarchy have something that would fill this
role? (if this is for VF-only use cases, then the answer would be "no" I
guess)

(I tried to read the whole thread, sorry if I missed something)

--
Vinicius