Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 11:04:01 -0800
From: "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@....org>
To: <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Client Side Token Exploits (was RE: [PHC] Any "large verifiers" on the panel?)

I mentioned that, if cryptographic-quality tokens (derived keys) are derived/preserved client side, there needs to be mitigation against pass-the-hash and similar exploits if one of them is discovered.  For example, it should not work the way that Google "Application Specific Password" works/worked:
<https://blog.duosecurity.com/2013/02/bypassing-googles-two-factor-authentication/>.

If the ASPs were subject to an additional transformation that mixed in some invariant with respect to the "application" (specific authentication context), the substitution of a key issued for a different application of the same user would fail in any reuse for something as critical as account administration.  And some actions should probably not ever bypass the two-factor auth as a defense against compromise of the key and/or the derived value retained by the authentication system.

 - Dennis