Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 11:04:48 -0700
From: "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@....org>
To: <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Cc: <fgrieu@...il.com>
Subject: RE: [PHC] Re: Suggestion: API should include a verifier function

Yes to all of that.  And the reason that I said "Again, it is all the more reason that there be a verification API behind which a platform-sensitive solution can be encapsulated."  What you give the compiler/script-engine is not what you get.  Sometimes cpu dependence and use of assembly code is the answer.  But that can all be somewhere behind the API.

I think Jeremy's observation about where the retrieval of the held key occurs and where the verification happens are all important.  I don't think that's so much an observation about the comparison as about where the verification occurs.  And if one is situated where the fetched key (correct-hash) value is observable, it strikes me that there is a lot more for the vulnerable party to worry about than this attack.

I agree that an attack of the scale required here going undetected and unthwarted suggests far more difficulty than just this vulnerability.

I am not proposing a change to the PHS API.  I am agreeing that a PHSverify( ) interface is also desirable (whether or not a minimum requirement for a PHS submission).  A reference implementation should be carefully annotated to explain what is undesirable to put into production without addressing platform issues in the implementation and the threat model where situated in an application.

 - Dennis