Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 03:13:36 +0000
From: Marsh Ray <maray@...rosoft.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: RE: [PHC] Re: Suggestion: API should include a verifier function

If the implementation allows an attacker to learn the password hash (via a timing channel or whatever), that would be considered a serious vulnerability by most users/admins. If an attacker is found to have learned the hash it would be considered a data breach.

A proposal that was somehow naturally resistant to implementation defects leaking side channels would seem like a bonus to me. I.e., it allowed the naïve implementation to be secure.

This would seem to necessitate a scheme defined in terms of discrete generate/verify functions.

-          Marsh