Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 23:56:55 +0100
From: Peter Maxwell <peter@...icient.co.uk>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Random Hash Functions

On 10 April 2013 02:20, havoc <havoc@...use.ca> wrote:

> Here's a quick idea for PHC, that you're all free to expand on:
>
> Generating the hash:
>
> Input: The password P.
> 1. Generate a random salt S.
> 2. Generate a random hash algorithm F.
> 3. D = H(S, F, P).
> 3. Return <D, S, F>.
>
> Checking the hash:
>
> Input: <D, S, F> and test password P'.
> 4. Return D == H(S, F, P').
>
> Where H(S, F, P) is some iterated stretching function that involves the
> random hash function F, a well-tested hash function (e.g. SHA3), and
> whatever else you want, in each iteration.
>
> The idea is that every hash would have not only a random salt, but a
> random hash algorithm. By "random hash algorithm", I don't mean simply a
> random hash function which you could easily get by prefixing a random
> salt, I mean really generating random *code*.

This idea had been briefly discussed on Twitter a month or so back, irrc
Dan Kaminsky & Marsh Ray (correct me if I'm wrong).

The suggestion was that one would try to use as much of the x86 instruction
set as possible to make it difficult to replicate in FPGA/ASIC.  While it's
an idea to ponder, I don't personally think it's a fantastic approach for
at least the following reasons:

i) you can replicate a fair number of instructions & conditionals on
hardware and if one goes to the lengths of using really unusual x86
instructions the construct becomes difficult to port to other processors,
e.g. ARM;

ii) you have to use many different and unusual x86 instructions to achieve
your goal, otherwise one can replicate most of it in hardware;

iii) it makes the algorithm very hard to analyse in terms of how it will
operate on a real system, i.e. is it likely to leak entropy in
side-channels and such like;

iv) you will likely have to prove that any random function generated does
not cause degenerate states either by losing entropy or getting caught in
predictable short-cycles;

v) the instructions that come to my mind that would be difficult to
replicate in hardware would all open the algorithm up to side-channel
attacks;

vi) for the verification routine, you are essentially creating executable
code that is data-dependent... in security applications. I would argue that
is not particularly wise.

> This has interesting implications for hardware cracking. The crackers
> will have to either,
>
> 1. Create custom hardware for each hash they want to crack, or
> 2. Build lots of small processors that can of compute any of the random
> hash algorithms.

I suspect your assertion is flawed.

For 1. the attacker needs to be able to replicate the subset of CPU
instructions you are using, if you limit yourself to something you can
study and easily implement then it's probably not too bad to implement in
hardware (although I can think of a few difficult scenarios).  Granted it's
more tricky but it's still one item of hardware.

For 2., as per 1 or using a combination of hardware and an x86.

> Currently, the best way to do it is probably to use an FPGA with method
> (1). To counter this, it should be very time consuming to find (either
> by hand or by automated process) an FPGA implementation of any F, that
> is faster than a well-designed general processor (method (2)).

Therein lies the rub: how do you design something that is both provably
non-degenerate and immune to side-channel attacks while still being very
difficult to implement as a general algorithm in hardware?

> The random hash algorithm F should be encoded in a simple, standard,
> machine language, and either interpreted by the host system or
> translated into the host system's native instructions (safely!) before
> execution.
>
> Of course, generating a random *secure* cryptographic hash function is
> NOT easy, since it takes years of design and testing to become confident
> in just one. However, except for very valuable hashes, attackers
> probably won't spend a lot of time cryptanalyzing them, so it's OK for
> them to be not-so-secure.

I've heard that line a fair few times before ;-)  Attackers do spend quite
a large amount of their time, resources and effort in inverting password
hashes.

Seriously though, some of the problems can be overcome by using a standard
hash before and after any random hash function, however you still must
ensure the intermediate random hash function does not create degenerate
states, leak information or poses a potential hazard from a vulnerability
point of view.

> Does anyone know of existing similar work?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Taylor (was: Havoc)

Content of type "text/html" skipped