Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 04:59:06 +0000
From: Alex Elsayed <eternaleye@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: scrypt like hash, but with AES and HMAC-SHA-2

CodesInChaos wrote:

> An hash I designed a couple of months ago:

<snip>
> * Time/parallelism trade-offs are bad once parallelism exceeds defender's
> maximum parallelism

I'm not entirely confident in the truth of this. It's one thing to assume
the attacker has more parallelism available, but they also can simply
parallelize their inputs. If M is the machine parallelism, and H is the hash
parallelism then the defender has one correct input and is thus constrained
by min(M, H).

If the attacker is running a dictionary search their answer to "this
password hash is only parallelizable up to X" is going to be "Well then, if
I have N > X available I'll just try X/N options at once." leaving them
constrained by min(M, N*H) where N is the number of candidate passwords.

With that, M is going to be the smaller branch in nearly all cases. Even
min(M, N) is going to usually end up as M.

Although that does bring up an interesting thought: What about driving up
the cost via multithreading *badly*? Use nonlocal data by a data-dependent
schedule, forcing either frequent IPI/cache coherency traffic (high-
parallelism user) or frequent task switches (low-parallelism user)?

<snip>
> * Well defined character encoding: UTF-8

That actually needs more info in order to be 'well-defined' - what
normalization form are you using? NFC? NFD?

<snip>