Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 06:46:14 +0000
From: Marsh Ray <maray@...rosoft.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: ECB mode can be our friend (Thinking out of the S-box)

"ECB mode" is a way of specifying "these block cipher invocations can be done in parallel " to hardware accelerated and other APIs.

Developers should be feel free to propose such solutions here without worrying about the reflexive "everybody knows ECB mode is bad because we can see the penguin*" comments we'd expect elsewhere.

Along these lines, there are certainly many other tools in the crypto toolbox which are completely busted for their original purposes. Yet they may be well understood and useful for password hashing. For example, several people (including myself) have suggested the use of a very wide RC4 to implement randomized memory access hardness.

- Marsh

* http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Tux_ecb.jpg

Content of type "text/html" skipped