Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 22:31:28 +0100
From: Peter Maxwell <peter@...icient.co.uk>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: [PHC] Interdependence of t_cost and m_cost parameters

On 11 August 2013 19:51, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@....org> wrote:

> I'm always having difficulty understanding the interdependence that might
> exist between t_cost, m_cost and, to a related degree, also outlen.

In an obvious sense, this is going to vary algorithm-by-algorithm.
 Hypothetical algorithm A might operate on a trade-off basis between time &
memory cost while another, B, may be designed in such a manner that the two
are entirely orthogonal.

I'd suggest the important thing is that the parameters are fully documented
and an evaluation of potential issues addressed by each designer, e.g. it
is one thing for a defender to be able to set a memory:calc trade-off, it
is an entirely different kettle of fish for the attacker to be able to
change their route of calculation to set the memory cost to nil at the
expense of increased time (which is usually far preferably for the
attacker).

> Here are some considerations I have.  I don't know how these fit with what
> others assume the interdependencies might be, or whether the
> interdependencies are simply left wide open, including when and where step
> functions arise.
>
>  - Dennis
>
> MY APPRAISAL OF THE SITUATION:
>
> It is generally easy to have t_cost be directly related to a linear work
> factor apart from any step functions that may arise in conjunction with
> outlen.  Alternatively, a PHS could amortize t_cost when there is some
> outlen-related timing-step increase.  There is such an increase with
> PBKDF2, for example.  While the t_cost doesn't have to adjust for
> differences in terms of processor performance, it would be useful to have
> the effect be smooth, whatever the relationship is.

Again, I'd suggest this be left to each designer but to be decided upon and
fully documented.  For example, I would not personally create a t_cost with
a linear relationship, Moore's law is exponential in growth so it seems
more natural to pick a logarithmic scale for t_cost.

Similarly, I'm personally not particularly concerned about t_size being
impacted by outlen as it isn't a data-dependent parameter and, irrc, you
can have a valid submission to the PHC with a fixed output length of 16
bytes.

> Amortizing t_cost against m_cost is tricker.  That is, it is difficult to
> work out the combinations if m_cost also has step-function costs.  It is
> also not clear what the difference between m_cost 1 and m_cost 2 might be
> and whether a given implementation has step functions here too (in which
> case t_cost could be amortized once again).

Again, would this not vary with each algorithm?

> Note 1: I am also assuming that, whatever the m_cost is, with the other
> parameters fixed, the result should be cryptographically unrelated to a
> result produced for any other m_cost value.  The prospect of t_cost, m_cost
> password-hash collisions with all other parameters the same must be
> negligible.

That would seem a sensible stipulation.  Perhaps have the parameters form
part of the input to the actual password hash function?

> Note 2: A requirement that I have for iterative password-hashing
> procedures is that I can have a version that will operate with a specific
> time threshhold and then report the t_cost that was achieved along with the
> resulting hash.  That becomes the known t_cost value for verification.
>  I've not considered m_cost in practical cases that have come up.  (Given a
> threshold t in milliseconds, the resulting t_cost
> value is one for which the hash is produced in the approximate interval
> [t, 3t/2].)

Well, m_cost is in a naive manner more amenable, for most algorithms I'd
imagine the storage space required for m_cost would be easy to calculate.
 What is less obvious is the implication of using, say 64Mb, for a hash
calculation... what impact does that have on other parts of the system, do
we have to start thinking down the line re potential paging issues (parts
of hash calculation ending up in swap), will the attacker's technology
improve to handle much larger amounts of memory efficiently/at low cost?

> Note 3: If I wanted variable m_cost control, I'm thinking that the
> procedure in (Note 2) would take an m_cost suggestion and that procedure
> would deliver the t_cost and m_cost values that were used in a generation
> that satisfied the specified time threshold.  That seems definitely
> trickier.  Interesting, but trickier.

In a practical sense, it's not particularly tricky: like you intimated, fix
m_cost at the desired storage requirement then specify your desired
time-limit and run the hash function enough times to calculate a median
value for t_cost that centres the execution time around your time-limit.

The problem is understanding the impact on aspects such as CPU cache,
virtual memory, system bus, number of hash invocations per unit time, what
else is running on the system, etc, then balancing that against attackers'
resources.

Content of type "text/html" skipped