Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 21:58:46 +0100
From: Krisztián Pintér <pinterkr@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] CJK character sets

remembering 8 idiograms is identical to remembering 8 words. it is
perfectly doable, although most people just does not want to do it. an
english word typically has the entropy of around 11-12 bits,
which is identical to 2000-4000 idiograms. it is not a surprise, words
are words, some languages has a little more, some a little less, but
not that much different.

typing idiograms requires 2-3 button presses, and that is a great
advantage over typing the entire word. but with the caveat that most
interfaces help with the options, so you don't have to remember the
combinations. this is of course unacceptable with passwords.

so i would say, chinese are not at an advantage, even if the system is
designed around idiograms.

but it points into the direction, which i think is right, of using
random words as passwords, and possibly having a system to shorten
them to save typing. it is more human than remembering characters. (i
hope everyone knows the obligatory xkcd: http://xkcd.com/936/ )

Marsh Ray (at Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 9:17:44 PM):