Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 19:41:44 -0800
From: "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@....org>
To: <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: RE: [PHC] blakerypt sequential memory-hard function

When limiting our discussion to PHS, I completely agree with all of that.

I brought up auto-tuning when a compressed, exponentially-growing work factor parameter was mentioned.  It was a mistake, since we have driven off into the weeds.

 - Dennis

OFF TOPIC

My use case for auto-tuning is in a place where valuable passwords must never be used, since the hash is not kept private.  The passwords used must be assumed to be compromised and subject to off-line attack.  The auto-tuned case is a palliative.

Also, it is all done on the client, and as often as the user desires to employ this particular hashed-password situation.

There is no prospect of having the user perform any sort of separate tuning.  If the user were that fluent, the particular hash method would not be used in the first place.  In the particular use case, the recommendation is to use new cryptographically-random values as faux hashes each time, with no actual password being hashed.  (This is a perfect fire-and-forget case where there is nothing available to be compromised and the only cost is the generation of the cryptographically-random bits.)

For the curious, here's a screed about the particular case:
<https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/svn/oic/Advisories/00009-ProtectionKeySafety/trunk/description.html>.