Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 20:00:48 -0500
From: Joseph Bonneau <jbonneau@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Intentionally increasing password hash collisions

Sorry to be a week late here. Some very good discussion though, thanks a
lot for kicking it off Matt.

I've argued unsuccessfully for this change many times with websites
deploying it. I think Taylor's point #1 about game theory is on the right
track, though more simply I see two related things:
*Many sites can't fathom that they might leak their password database and
hence don't think it's worst investing time/thought into a feature that is
only useful after a leak.
*Savvier sites figure that if they were using a collision-rich hash
function (my preferred term) and they leaked their password database, this
would be too complicated to come out in news coverage as a mitigating
factor and hence they would take an equivalent publicity hit anyways, so
what would this really buy them?

I don't see Taylor's #2 as a major concern. Website users already can't
manage their own security against all sorts of risks (like how effectively
websites rate-limit to begin with) so making a smart choice on their behalf
here is sensible, though it's probably worth having a disclaimer for power
users.

The other big objection is that the gain here may not be very big in
practice. Nobody I've talked to would accept less than 30 bit hashes,
assuming they can hope to keep attackers to 2^20 guesses or thereabouts
using rate-limiting and they want a security margin, and sometimes I've
heard 40 bits as the minimum. Given how weak most passwords are, with 40
bits leaked you're really only protecting pretty serious power users, and
even they're probably vulnerable with 40 bits leaked + 20 bits
rate-limiting at a second site where the password has been re-used. Even
with 30 bits leaked you've effectively given up the majority of your users
passwords.

So I have supported this approach for a while but I think in the big
picture it's a pretty marginal improvement. Though it is very easy to
implement-the hurdle to implementing isn't writing one line of code to drop
bits, it's not knowing if this is a good idea at all and not wanting to do
the analysis. If there were a nice write-up and NIST or some other source
viewed as authoritative officially endorsed this approach perhaps that
would make a difference.

Cheers,

Joe

Content of type "text/html" skipped