Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 09:22:56 -0800
From: "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@....org>
To: <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: RE: [PHC] Re: Reworked KDF available on github for feedback: NOELKDF

If you can construct such a detector, you’ve just provided an opening for a security-argument refutation with regard to NOELKDF being (computationally) indistinguishable from random.  The security argument is about the existence of *any* feasible procedure for predicting future bits with better-than-random success.

In this case, I think it would be for being able to tell between a true random source and NOELKDF, which is what your non-randomness identifier is doing (at least).  I assume that you can get consistently better than 50% accuracy with fewer that 32KB.

On the other hand, I’m not sure what your use case and threat model are that have this matter.  Weakening the PRG further does not seem to be justifiable if PRG strength matters, though.

-   Dennis