Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 00:06:51 +0000
From: Marsh Ray <maray@...rosoft.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: RE: [PHC] Lyra, Password Key Derivation Based On The Sponge
 Construction

I think we generally assume the salt is known to the attacker, so it doesn't contribute entropy in the same sense as the password.

> My point is that it's useless to worry about the entropy of the data we write to memory.

A. We have to worry that 99.999% of the entropy in the password ends up represented in the resulting hash value.

B. We have to worry about password entropy being lost via side channels such as memory access patterns.

So if the entropy content of certain values is truly not important, a simpler option (which helps prove both A and B) is to initialize them with a fixed pattern or one which is purely salt-derived.

-          Marsh