Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 10:28:09 -0500
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Pretty cool: first sequential memory hard KDF secure
 against timing attacks

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM, Stephen Touset <stephen@...set.org> wrote:

> To be fair, I would argue that my blakerypt proposal and implementation
> were first. Order of memory access is based on a unique "session key" and
> not the password. :)

I went back and read your posts.  I agree your algorithm is sequential
memory hard, avoids the worst timing attacks, and was first.

I'm pretty excited about your session key derived from a master key idea.
 Is this already sort of standard practice, or at least well known?
 Servers with password databases should all derive user specific session
keys from a master key.  It thwarts brute-force attacks against any
attacker who does not have the master key.  Linked-in could really have
used this.

If I understand correctly, blakerypt uses the session key for determining
memory access patterns, and password derived data is written to memory.
 This avoids the worst timing attack where an attacker simply aborts
password guesses that don't result in the right timing.

Some information still leaks, just like in my cheat killer round.  The
session key is still unique to a particular password, and while an attacker
can't use cache timing to help guess the password, he could still notice
who just authenticated.  This seems like a small risk to me.  Is it better
to leak the fact that a user has authenticated while using a sequential
memory hard KDF, or is it better to hide even who is logging on, but use
only a memory-hard, but not sequential memory hard KDF?

There are only two things that bother me a bit about what I've read so far
about blakerypt, not that my noob-ish opinion really counts.  First is that
a master key is required, and I don't see how that protects my ~/ssh/id_rsa
private key, because there's no master password available.  Second is that
while Blake2 is amazingly fast, and beats just about any real
crypto-strength hash out there, but I feel it's a waste of CPU cycles to
fill memory with a crypto-strength hash.  We gain security in proportion to
the memory filled, but we gain little security making the data we write to
memory seem more random, SFAIK.  I haven't seen anyone else suggesting
dropping the compute intensive crypto-strength hashes in the inner loop, so
this isn't a blakerypt specific gripe.

Bill

Content of type "text/html" skipped