Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 14:02:35 -0500
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] What's your favorite entry so far, and why?

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Christian Forler
<christian.forler@...-weimar.de> wrote:
>> My only  gripe is that if I'm going to spend 1
>> second on a KDF, I'm going to want to hash a lot of memory.  Script's
>> speed (about 1/4 GB/second on my development machine) should be
>> considered the lower bound on acceptable efficiency, IMO.
>
> "Of course it is not secure, but look how fast it is!" :-)

Surely security comes first.  It is unclear to me under what
conditions Catena will be more secure than scrypt.  Catena and any KDF
hashing L2 resident memory wins in a way that I think is more
significant than timing attacks: leaked memory, due to swapping,
hibernation, core dumps, or failure to clear after freeing.  Scrypt
wins vs FPGA and ASIC attacks due to the memory bandwidth limit on
FPGAs and ASICs, even if Scrypt could be several times better than it
is in this regard.  Scrypt security is pretty good.  I'd prefer that a
successor be clearly capable of winning in all these situations,
including FPGA and ASIC attacks.  As I said, I think there's no reason
Catena can't get there.

>> There is no reason Catena has to run slowly, and I haven't looked at the
>> code, so I don't know what efficiency changes have been made.  For
>> example, you could run with two rows small enough to fit in L1 cache,
>> and then do a ton of rows, followed by a final round that hashes all
>> memory from all rows 4KB at a time.
>
> Nope. We are not interested that Catena can not efficiently computed
> without tones of  L1 and L2 cache misses since this also effects
> the performance of GPU implementations.

This is a very interesting point.  Catena, with efficient enough inner
loop hashing, should be pretty secure against GPU attacks, and going
to external GDDR5 DRAM just means they're stuck with the same cache
miss penalties you are.  That's a good thing, because it gives you a
bunch of cycles to catch up on the hashing.

However, vs FPGAs and ASICs, an attacker can use QDR SRAM from Cypress:

http://www.cypress.com/sync_SRAMs/

An FPGA can have several of these bad-boys off chip, and according to
Cypress, they're 45X lower latency than DDR3.  I've not checked that
math, but its an issue to worry about.

Bill