Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 20:44:41 -0500
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] escrypt memory access speed (Re: [PHC] Reworked KDF
 available on github for feedback: NOELKDF)

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 8:43 AM, Peter Maxwell <peter@...icient.co.uk> wrote:
> On 12 January 2014 12:45, Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com> wrote:
>> Our CPUs are stuck with tremendous routing delays that just don't
>> exist on an ASIC when computing our inner-loops.  Any attempt to
>> protect passwords with computation-limited inner loops is not going to
>> get us very far.
>>

> This is probably a very daft question but what's "routing" in this context?
> (my hardware knowledge is abysmal)

No, it's a natural question.  I've done enough chip routers to
consider myself an expert, at least when routing with vias or
switches.  Chip routers lay down metal between ports of components.
It's not the same as what CPUs do when they route data from one place
to the next.  However, I see the same delays in a CPU that I would see
when routing metal.

If there are a lot of sources for data that need to go to a lot of
different places, you get routing delays whether it's due to a long
capacitive piece of metal (like my chip routers) or several MUXes in
the path (like a CPU or SRAM based FPGA routing).  Getting data from
point A to point B is not just an important speed issue. In most
cases, in my experience, it dominates.

Bill